Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1044 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Any experience of mobile Xeons?

Has anyone any experience of the new mobile Xeon chips yet? I need a new "laptop" and would be interested to hear of any comparisons between (for example) the Intel Core i7-6820HQ and the Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 processors when used for crunching.

I'm sure either would be fine for my day-to-day use, but if a few quid more will buy me a better crunching machine then I'm happy to contribute.

Thanks in advance.
[Jan 20, 2016 3:03:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enels
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Any experience of mobile Xeons?

They look pretty identical. The Xeon has a 100 MHz advantage but that won't ammount to much.
[Jan 21, 2016 5:43:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks for responding, enels.

I understood that the Xeons have a different architecture, with support for additional instructions. What I don't know is how much, if any, difference that makes when crunching.

Since I always associated Xeons with servers, that would suggest to me that they are better at CPU intensive tasks, but I may be completely off on the wrong track. That's why I was asking if someone has any real experience.
[Jan 21, 2016 6:38:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
No.15
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Don't have experience with that particular Xeon, but on paper those 2 chips are pretty much the same. I would bet my paycheck you would not see any significant differences with the Xeon.
----------------------------------------

[Jan 26, 2016 3:19:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks for the response No.15. It's starting to sound like I may be wrong, but I'll still hold off a little while longer in case anyone can comment with real experience on mobile Xeons.
[Jan 26, 2016 5:16:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Kasey Domer
Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

smile Hi, Apis,

Benchmark scores between the i7-6820HQ and either of the E5 mobile Xeon chips look pretty much identical. Also, in the world of desktop CPUs, Xeons really do perform about the same clock-for-clock and core-for-core as the i7 variants. Their mobile counterparts don't seem to be any different.

What I actually recommend, then, if it won't break your bank, is to find a laptop with the i7-6820HK (if you insist on a laptop, that is). It can be overclocked, and some people have had success getting it to 4.2GHz (this will obviously depend on the cooling efficiency of the laptop you buy), and any overclock beyond the stock speed will improve performance, but with the added effect of more power consumption and heat output. If you don't know what overclocking is or how it works, let me know and I can get you some useful resources. smile

Crunchers:

1: Xeon E5-2695 v3 @ 2.5GHz turbo (14C/28T)
2: Xeon E5-2658 v3 @ 2.3GHz turbo (12C/24T)
3: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.675GHz OC (8C/16T)
4: Core i7-4700MQ @ 3.2GHz cTDP up (4C/8T)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kasey Domer at Feb 23, 2016 10:23:41 AM]
[Feb 23, 2016 10:21:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi Kasey,

Thanks for your comments. I have to admit to being slightly disappointed, and it makes me wonder why Intel bothered?

I don't fancy overclocking a mobile device because of the heat issues, and I've never really been convinced that the extra speed gained warrants the extra power cost anyway, but thanks for mentioning it.
[Feb 23, 2016 11:30:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Overclocking a laptop? Sounds like a bonfire waiting to happen. For the cost of "heavy hitter" laptops, have you considered building a similarly equipped desktop and then for day to day tasks where you want to be mobile, a netbook or fairly equipped laptop? You can build a powerful desktop for much cheaper than a laptop and heat issues would be pretty much not a worry given proper cooling and routine cleaning of the dust.
[Feb 23, 2016 11:48:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi joneill003,

Mmmm, I guess I hadn't quite thought that through enough, so your comment is useful, thank-you. I will need to consider more carefully just what functions I need when mobile -- I might not quite need all the power that I had thought of.

It is certainly the case that I will need to consider another deskside machine in the not-too-distant future, and your comments may spur me on to look at acquiring both on a similar time-scale.

Thanks again!
[Feb 23, 2016 3:53:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread