Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1516 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
SiKTheGreatOne
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Windows vs Android x86

I have an old laptop with Windows 8. I wanted to try Remix OS 3.0 which is an Android version for x86. I'm sure the laptop would run faster for web browsing and such but would it compute BOINC tasks at the same speed of Windows? The other question is if work would be available for Android x86 since I believe the current Android work is for ARM. However, I believe Remix OS was designed so that most Google Play store apps would work. I could always just get an Android TV box and the savings in electricity would pay for itself eventually.

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_428522.html?wid=21
AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 (2 cores @ 1.8GHz) vs Amlogic S912 (8 cores @ 2GHz). Despite the different computation methods between the two, I think the S912 would win out.
----------------------------------------

[Jan 27, 2017 7:40:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:
Re: Windows vs Android x86

It wouldn't compute at all.
Android and WCG (and most other BOINC project, if not all) only work on ARM processors, not x86 like your AMD.

(Also I don't know if Remix OS would even run on that computer. I've tried it on my AMD A8-6500, which is far more recent than yours, and I couldn't get it to boot).

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Falconet at Jan 27, 2017 7:46:06 PM]
[Jan 27, 2017 7:45:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SiKTheGreatOne
Cruncher
Project Badges:

It wouldn't compute at all.
Android and WCG (and most other BOINC project, if not all) only work on ARM processors, not x86 like your AMD.

(Also I don't know if Remix OS would even run on that computer. I've tried it on my AMD A8-6500, which is far more recent than yours, and I couldn't get it to boot).

I suspected as much. I will have to salvage the hard drive and move on to a more efficient device.

[Jan 27, 2017 7:56:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Actually you can run SETI, WUProp, and Collatz last I checked on Android with x86 CPU's.

[Jan 28, 2017 2:20:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Why not load UBUNTU OS on the laptop and run WCG? I did this on an old Gateway 1450.
[Oct 28, 2017 12:44:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread