Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 206
Posts: 206   Pages: 21   [ Previous Page | 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11314 times and has 205 replies Next Thread
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Weekend Puzzles

Adri,

Thanks for a bit of distraction -- it has been so long since I've seen a puzzle of this form that I actually had to stop and think about it [briefly] :-)

Should I try to compile another "crossword" ???

Cheers - Al.
[Jul 30, 2023 12:13:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

A classic puzzle I have seen before. There are quite few of these matchstick puzzles, some of which I would never be able to solve. But I did remember this one. Thanks for bringing it back.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jul 30, 2023 12:57:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Al, Sgt.Joe, I thought it was time for a small puzzle that would not be too easy. biggrin

Al, compiling - or trying to compile - another crossword, or something else that involves some logical thinking, is Always welcome. wink

Adri

PS This Thursday I will post the solution - if still necessary - for those who tried this puzzle in vain. Don't let it get you down.
[Aug 1, 2023 8:17:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Dear puzzle friends,
The solution to the problem is to move two pieces and to put them in the figure like this:
┌───┐ ↑ ┌───┐
│ │ │ │
└───┴───┼───┼───┐
╎ │ │ │
o---o ↓ └───┘

The two arrows in this figure indicate which matches are being moved and the dashed lines with a pin on top are their new spots. Voilà. blushing

Thank you for participating!
Adri
[Edit 1 times, last edit by adriverhoef at Aug 3, 2023 9:54:04 AM]
[Aug 3, 2023 9:52:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

"A"-block  "B"-block     diagram
┏━━━━━━━━━┳┳━━━━━━━━━┓ ┏━━━━━━━┓
┃ A1 ┃┃ B1 ┃ ┃[A1,Ba]┃ Which "B"-block belongs/connects to which "A"-block?
┃ -33.45, ┃┃ -070.66 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃
┃ -21.13, ┃┃ -175.20 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ Try to find which A-block and which B-block belong together.
┃ -13.83, ┃┃ -171.77 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ The 5 A-boxes are already in the correct order.
┃ -04.28, ┃┃ +015.28 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ Put the 5 B-boxes in the correct (vertical) order.
┃ -01.29, ┃┃ +036.82 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ (Hint: What do the positive and negative numbers represent?)
┣━━━━━━━━━╋╋━━━━━━━━━┫ ┣━━━━━━━┫
┃ A2 ┃┃ B2 ┃ ┃[A2,Bb]┃
┃ -00.55, ┃┃ +045.02 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ Once in the correct order, when you have linked all 5 A-boxes
┃ +00.42, ┃┃ +002.13 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ and B-boxes, you'll have to find out what the diagram holds.
┃ +05.60, ┃┃ +032.56 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ (Replace the small letters a, b, c, d and e with the numbers
┃ +06.50, ┃┃ -072.31 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ from the "B"-block in the correct order.)
┃ +07.50, ┃┃ +051.53 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ (NB: Don't change the order of the lines inside a block.)
┃ A3 ┃┃ B3 ┃ ┃[A3,Bc]┃
┃ +12.79, ┃┃ +085.32 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ A possible solution for the boxes in the diagram would be:
┃ +13.51, ┃┃ +077.21 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ [A1,B5], [A2,B4], [A3,B3], [A4,B2], [A5,B1]. This is just
┃ +15.50, ┃┃ +031.24 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ an example, of course.
┃ +18.59, ┃┃ +013.19 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃
┃ +25.29, ┃┃ +036.28 ┃ ┃ Q.... ┃
┃ A4 ┃┃ B4 ┃ ┃[A4,Bd]┃
┃ +27.72, ┃┃ +139.78 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ So let's suppose you'll find that A3 and B3 belong together,
┃ +28.61, ┃┃ +014.52 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ then you must work out the combination of A3 and B3 (what do
┃ +30.05, ┃┃ +116.40 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ they constitute?) in the diagram: replace each dot in the
┃ +32.89, ┃┃ -003.70 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ diagram with a 5-letter word.
┃ +33.52, ┃┃ +012.49 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃
┃ A5 ┃┃ B5 ┃ ┃[A5,Be]┃
┃ +35.70, ┃┃ +166.92 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ I'll hand you one capital letter: the Q in section [A3,Bc]
┃ +35.90, ┃┃ +009.46 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ of the diagram. (Still, which "B"-block connects to block A3?
┃ +39.91, ┃┃ -000.19 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ Is c a '1', a '2', a '3', a '4' or a '5'?)
┃ +40.41, ┃┃ +002.63 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ (Note: To some degree, there are just a few hints scattered
┃ +41.90, ┃┃ +134.62 ┃ ┃ ..... ┃ throughout this puzzle, minutely hidden.)
┗━━━━━━━━━┻┻━━━━━━━━━┛ ┗━━━━━━━┛

So, you'll have to discover:
- what the numbers represent,
- put them blockwise in the correct order,
- find out the 5-letter words in the diagram.

Good luck! I'll post the solution in a week.

Adri
[Dec 13, 2023 12:34:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Adri,

Neat puzzle!

So far, I know what B block goes with A3 and have the five words to prove it. I'll work out the rest a bit later on...

Cheers - Al.

And no, I didn't need any hints... :-)
[Dec 13, 2023 3:07:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

So far I have made zero headway with this one. I thought maybe the numbers corresponded to latitude and longitude of various places, or GPS coordinates, but soon discarded that premise. I though about embedded ratios within each number block, but I have discarded that idea.The Q hint triggered a thought about Quito, Ecuador, but than all the five letter words would need to be cities, so I thought that to be highly unlikely. I thought about temperatures, but I don't think so because of the range and decimals. I did notice all the numbers in the "A" blocks either ascend or descend in a linear fashion, but the "B" blocks , so far do not exhibit a discernible pattern to match the "A" blocks.
I am leaving it now, but will look at it again later after I have thought some more about it.

Edit: I wonder about degrees around a circle ? There is nothing over 180, but there are some pretty small decimals. Hmmmm.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sgt.Joe at Dec 13, 2023 6:43:41 PM]
[Dec 13, 2023 3:41:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Finished it! I spent longer on it than I might have, because I kept making transcription errors when matching the pairs of numbers :-)

I won't say any more for now for risk of spoiling it for others...

Once again, thanks for an interesting puzzle!

Cheers - Al.
[Dec 14, 2023 9:17:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Finished it! I spent longer on it than I might have, because I kept making transcription errors when matching the pairs of numbers :-)
I won't say any more for now for risk of spoiling it for others...
Once again, thanks for an interesting puzzle!
Cheers - Al.

I continue to be baffled. I can not determine any relationships in the numbers that actually form a pattern or make any sense across the board. I have also failed to determine the how or the why of the existence of the "Q." I am sure once the puzzle is solved it will be readily apparent and I will search my soul for why I did not think of it.

Edit: And another puzzling thing. Why the leading zeros in the numbers ? Just to keep them all in line ?

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sgt.Joe at Dec 16, 2023 2:08:41 AM]
[Dec 16, 2023 2:05:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Sgt. Joe,

If you want an enormous hint, it's actually there in the puzzle post; look carefully at the wording of the text on the last data block row, and remember that Adri likes word-play! As you say, once you see the solution... :-)

As for the letter Q, you need to think big[ger] -- that one was very useful as a check... (By the way [negative hint] - some starting letters appear more than once, others don't appear at all ...)

And yes, the leading zeros have no specific significance of which I am aware.

How long it takes to solve once the significance of the data is known depends on the tools at hand. I suspect an appropriate reference book would have been faster than the online methods I used...

Cheers - Al.
[Dec 16, 2023 7:59:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 206   Pages: 21   [ Previous Page | 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread