Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 206
Posts: 206   Pages: 21   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11308 times and has 205 replies Next Thread
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Weekend Puzzles

Thanks, Adri.

I was wondering whether to [finally] post my solution as most of the week had passed - no need now! :-)

I wish there was some way of posting answers without them being generally visible, but as there's no private messaging...

Once again, thanks for an interesting puzzle.

Cheers - Al.

Nice job. I was hoping somebody else would post.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Apr 13, 2023 6:09:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Thank you both for your kind words, alanb1951 and Sgt.Joe!

When considering a day to post the solutions, Thursday appeared to be one of the most suitable days for me. In this way, people who didn't get around to the puzzle over the weekend can still participate early in the week, until the answers are posted.
That is why my answers appeared on this Thursday. blushing Of course, there's no stopping someone else posting their answers before mine.

There's another minor complication: at the moment, my posts are being moderated (most likely due to a case where hostnames of others were published by me; they were removed by the moderator and labeled 'redacted for privacy' in capitals; I didn't notice this until I tried to post something and got "This post will be moderated so please wait for the forum moderator to approve your post" as a reply, so I wondered what was wrong with the forum at first).
So it depends on the moderator when (at what time and day) and whether my contributions are accepted or not.
How long is this situation going to last? That's a good question, as I don't have any idea (yet); I'm hoping to get a reply from the friendly WCG Team.

Thanks,
Adri
PS Of course, if anyone has any questions or comments about the puzzle(s), just let me know (here).
[Apr 13, 2023 9:13:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

My friend Rop likes to travel. He's seen many countries. And made some good friends, too, on various trips (see 1, 2, 6, 12, 13, 16). Why do I tell this? Because it's the key. This puzzle is all about you, Rop. ;-)

This weekend's puzzle has 16 mysterious descriptions. Each horizontal answer has 7 boxes (only one letter per box allowed). Once you have found all answers, another one will show up in the marked column (that's vertically, as if you didn't know that, ha!), together with its code (what's meant with that? you'll have to find that out, too). Good luck!

DESCRIPTIONS

┌───────┬───────┬───────┬───────┬───────┬───────┬───────┐
1. Tonia │ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ 1│
│ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │
└───────┴───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┬───────┐
2. Gary │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ │ 2│
│░ ░│ │ │ │ │ │ │
┌───────┬───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┴───────┘
3. is │ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ 3│
│ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │
4. mania │ │ │ │ │░ ░│ │ 4│
│ │ │ │ │░ ░│ │ │
└───────┴───────┴───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┬───────┬───────┐
5. be │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ 5│
│ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ │
┌───────┬───────┬───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┴───────┴───────┘
6. Atia │ │ │ │ │░ ░│ │ 6│
│ │ │ │ │░ ░│ │ │
└───────┴───────┴───────┴───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┬───────┬───────┬───────┐
7. see │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ │ 7│
│░ ░│ │ │ │ │ │ │
┌───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┘
8. many │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ 8│
│ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ │
├───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
9. ie │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ 9│
│ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ │
10. by │ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ 10│
│ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │
└───────┴───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┬───────┐
11. ad │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ │ 11│
│░ ░│ │ │ │ │ │ │
12. Mark │ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ 12│
│ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │
13. Mo │ │ │ │░ ░│ │ │ 13│
│ │ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │
└───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┐
14. at │ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ 14│
│ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │
└───────┴───────┼───────┼───────┴───────┴───────┴───────┘
-------- │ │
│ = │
┌───────┬───────┼───────┼───────┬───────┬───────┬───────┐
15. and │ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ 15│
│ │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │
└───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┼───────┐
16. Al │ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ 16│
│ │░ ░│ │ │ │ │ │
└───────┴───────┴───────┴───────┴───────┴───────┴───────┘

Note: the numbers in the boxes are there just to align with the descriptions, not to point in the opposite direction. So the answers still need to be filled out left to right.

Adri
PS I will post a hint on Tuesday.
[Apr 15, 2023 9:58:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

This weekend I hoped to post a new puzzle, and while I did this last Saturday the 15th, unfortunately my post didn't reach the forum (yet) as I was put under moderation. This post is to confirm that I have access again. If not, this post will be delayed or you will not see it all.

My suggestion is to wait till the next weekend before posting the next puzzle.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by adriverhoef at Apr 17, 2023 10:14:10 PM]
[Apr 17, 2023 1:21:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Adri,

An interesting one, this! If the "answer" is just the vertical column, I think I've got it, but I'm at a loss regarding one or two of the horizontal answers (for now, anyway...)

Cheers - Al.
[Apr 17, 2023 8:07:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Okay, so the weekend puzzle that I posted last Saturday has reached the forum today. blushing

Al, you're probably on the right track then, and as the introduction of the puzzle explicitly states "Once you have found all answers, another one will show up", I'm afraid you will have to find all answers (including the one that shows up in the vertical column). biggrin
When I was putting the puzzle together I found that there can only be one solution. smile

Instead of posting the hint on Tuesday, I will wait a bit more and see if the hint will be posted on Wednesday or Thursday, as I will undergo some front tooth surgery again this week, together with a lip correction.

Adri
[Apr 17, 2023 10:12:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

But I already know what is in the vertical column without needing all the horizontal answers :-) And knowing one letter for those doesn't help very much :-) :-)

Good luck with the dental work...

Cheers - Al.
[Apr 17, 2023 11:03:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Thanks Al.

You wrote that you know one letter; don't forget the (16) descriptions! biggrin

(I suspect that 'and' is the hardest description.)

Adri
PS My upcoming hint later this week will be about one of Rop's friends. Perhaps it may help some other people to find most answers to the puzzle.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by adriverhoef at Apr 17, 2023 11:21:13 PM]
[Apr 17, 2023 11:17:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I think I have about 75% of the horizontal answers, but am fully stumped by one and I have an inkling about the vertical answer, but it has not yet come together. I have a few possibilities for the missing answers but am trying to figure out which way to go on about 3 or 4 of them. The one I am fully stumped on I only have a 5 letter possibility so I know it is not correct. I will ponder a bit more.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Apr 18, 2023 1:09:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

The hint for the current puzzle, description 6. Atia:

CROATIA
[Apr 19, 2023 3:43:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 206   Pages: 21   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread