Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1653 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
NAP2614
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Interesting from BBC

BBC: "We're talking about the most highly personalised treatment imaginable."

It remains experimental and still requires considerably more testing before it can be used more widely, but this is how it works: it starts by getting to know the enemy.

A patient's tumour is genetically analysed to identify the rare changes that might make the cancer visible to the immune system.

Out of the 62 genetic abnormalities in this patient, only four were potential lines of attack.

Next researchers go hunting. A patient's immune system will already be attacking the tumour, it's just losing the fight between white blood cells and cancer.

The scientists screen the patient's white blood cells and extract those capable of attacking the cancer.

These are then grown in huge quantities in the laboratory.

Around 90 billion were injected back into the 49-year-old patient, alongside drugs to take the brakes off the immune system." BBC
----------------------------------------

[Jun 5, 2018 7:29:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sunk818
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Interesting from BBC

Is WCG able to contribute to immunotherapy crunching?

Immunotherapy is fascinating technology applied to cancer treatment. I've always wondered why so much gets pumped into a cancer patient instead of giving at a slower rate so the body can process all the dead cells. It seems like the body goes into overdrive cleaning out all the dead cells which in itself is dangerous (high fever, kidney damage (?), liver damage (?), etc.)... there must be a reason, but I'm not a clinician so I don't know.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44338276

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-018-00...king_referrer=www.bbc.com
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sunk818 at Jun 6, 2018 5:37:41 PM]
[Jun 6, 2018 5:37:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mikezz
Cruncher
Project Badges:

It’s so interesting:)
[Jun 20, 2018 3:11:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sptrog1
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Is WCG able to contribute to immunotherapy crunching?

Immunotherapy relies on educating the immune system to recognize and remove the malignant cell or its injurious products (and only those). Or (as above) concentrating those cells that are there and working. This has been most successful in blood malignancies where the cells are in the blood stream and freely available to interact
The possibilities are exciting but as a IT neophyte I would not know how to approach it. The closest model I have seen on WCG
is the key and lock research on drugs for cancer and this has been aimed at finite chemicals with known structure.
[Mar 7, 2019 6:05:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread