Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 18
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2817 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
davidjharder
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Different completion times - Windows vs Linux

My desktop dual boots windows and linux. Processor is an old AMD 6300 fx CPU.

Rrecent SCC tasks take 1.4-1.6 hours to complete on windows. For example, task SCC1_ 0002762_ Lin-ZNF-F_ 5402_ 0-- took 1.44 hrs. But the same machine running linux completes SCC tasks in 0.85-1.10 hrs; e.g SCC1_ 0002819_ Lin-ZNF-F_ 27826_ 0-- took 1.01 hrs.

To my eye, the tasks look identical. Anyone else notice something like this, or have theories as to why this happens?
[Nov 5, 2018 7:28:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Different completion times - Windows vs Linux

That what others have experienced before you.
On Zika, SCC and Ebola Linux is much faster than Windows. On the other projects there is no or small difference between linux and windows.

So if you can I would suggest to run WCG on Linux. You will get more points and the work of the project is done faster.
[Nov 5, 2018 7:52:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sunk818
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Shhh, its a secret! ;)

Does anyone know where macOS would fall in this area? Would macOS also be Linux in the crunching times, or Windows? Any thoughts?
[Nov 5, 2018 7:54:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
davidjharder
Cruncher
Project Badges:

On Zika, SCC and Ebola Linux is much faster than Windows. On the other projects there is no or small difference between linux and windows.

So if you can I would suggest to run WCG on Linux. You will get more points and the work of the project is done faster.

Thanks Sheridon.
[Nov 5, 2018 8:54:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sunk818
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks Sheridon.

Do you know what it is about Linux that makes these specific projects crunch faster? Is there some sort of math that Linux supports that Windows does not?
[Nov 6, 2018 6:23:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

I think the reason 64-bit Linux is much faster in the VINA sciences compared to 64-bit Windows has to do with much better memory management on Linux and compiler differences. At least that's what I seem to recall.
----------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Nov 6, 2018 11:00:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mumak
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I ended up installing Ubuntu under VirtualBox on all Windows machines and running WCG there now. The gain is significant (30-50% improvement on SCC1) even with all the VM overhead.

[Nov 6, 2018 11:50:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

Shhh, its a secret! ;)

Does anyone know where macOS would fall in this area? Would macOS also be Linux in the crunching times, or Windows? Any thoughts?

Since macOS is a(n) Unix clone, guess where it stands nerd It is close-or-on-par with Linux.

Cheers and NI!

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Nov 6, 2018 8:30:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
confused Re: Different completion times - Windows vs Linux

I wonder if there's anyone who tried to execute boinc tasks from the same platform and with different environment?
For example:
On a amd64 platform
windows
linux
windows-docker
linux-docker
windows-linux vm
linux-windows vm
[Dec 19, 2018 2:19:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Shhh, its a secret! ;)

Since macOS is a(n) Unix clone, guess where it stands nerd It is close-or-on-par with Linux.

Cheers and NI!
I am running on all three OS, real iron, not any VM and I certainly do not see such a huge difference between OS, even considering that the machines all have different specs.
But a low end 2 core/thread Celeron notebook with 2GB of RAM, running Windows 10 finishes on general SCC jobs in about 80% of the time that they take on a 2 core/thread Core 2, 3GB of RAM under Linux Mint 19. And my 4core/8 thread i7 (8GB RAM) MacBook Pro running macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) is in general about 10-15% slower than an equally speced i7 Dell Optiplex running Windows 7 Pro or Windows 10 Pro...

There is a big differences on the runtime of various batches of SCC WUs, on this i3 (4 threads, 8GB RAM) running Windows 8.1, the runtime fluctuates between 50min to 4 hours...

[Dec 19, 2018 8:33:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread