Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1114 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
RicktheBrick
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
What up with IBM?

IBM's contribution is less than half of what it use to be. IBM's decrease is over 300 times my contribution. They now have only about 1 contribution for every 9 installations. I have about 4. I will wait until the summer heat comes and if IBM does not get back than I will probably reduce my effort too.
[May 13, 2019 2:22:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Re: What up with IBM?

The IBM user was created by doing a mass installation of the software onto laptops and desktops deployed internally. This worked great for getting raw numbers, but it didn't engage the individual employee and contractors inside IBM in the effort. As a result, we are changing our approach for recruiting computing power inside IBM to engage with individual employees and have them install and participate under their individual accounts.

The reason that you see the dramatic reduction is because IBM is currently doing a massive migration internally from Windows 7 to Windows 10 as the standard desktop (for users not on macs or using linux). All of our mass deployed installations are on Windows 7. As that migration progresses, you will see the IBM user continue to shrink.

However, this is being replaced by contribution under individual accounts. Note that it is much harder to persuade individuals to take action then to do a mass installation so the replacement will take a bit of time.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by knreed at May 13, 2019 3:46:04 PM]
[May 13, 2019 3:41:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
shock Re: What up with IBM?

Interesting! Thanks for the update!
[May 13, 2019 4:41:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TonyEllis
Senior Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:
Re: What up with IBM?

Initially joined WCG as an individual user when I worked for IBM. Contributed my results to the IBM - A/NZ team. This was using the Windows XP IBM deployed desktop load. Years later on leaving IBM retained the same Useriid, and still use it. Also retired from the IBM - A/NZ team and joined another. IBM is now a much smaller organization than when I first joined WCG - so that may also account in part for the drop in participation.

However... Just checked the IBM - A/NZ team statistics. Retired from IBM in 2013 - but amazingly am still top of the IBM - A/NZ team in every category - Total Run Time | Points Generated | Results Returned. Statistics do not look much different to what they did 6 years ago - so for one IBM internal team at least, participation is very minimal. Nevertheless, this does not in any way decease my desire to continue to participate in WCG...
[May 13, 2019 4:42:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread