Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 40
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5060 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Build a monster PC or buy several cheap pc's for crunching?

I recently built a PC with ryzen 3700x. Im on a Cancer Markers high... Now I want to do more. Would I be better served to build another high end with say a threadripper, or go to Costco and buy a few pcs with decent processors?
[Aug 20, 2019 9:11:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Build a monster PC or buy several cheap pc's for crunching?

More computers mean more to monitor. Its nice to have a couple though. Especially a monster cruncher. Build is always better. The cheap crap you can buy doesn't last very long running 24/7. Build it if you can.
----------------------------------------
Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Aug 20, 2019 2:20:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

If you build yourself the machine, I can recommend following configuration:
  • Asus Mainboard; e.g. B450M Prime (support for 3900X should be verified)
  • Ryzen 3700X (TDP 65W) or 3900X (TDP 105W)
  • Noctua NH L9x65-SE or equivalent for the 3900X
  • 16 GB RAM
  • NVMe SSD 128 or 256 GB
  • Graphic Card; e.g. Radeon R5 230 (passive cooling)
  • Power Supply 80+ Gold or Platinum
  • LinuxMint 19.2 resp. Ubuntu 18.04

You can consider to use Ubuntu Server 18.04, if you prefer a headless configuration. In this case, you can manage and monitor your machines using BoincTasks.
In all cases, such a configuration is much cheaper (price/performance) than a Threadripper based config.
Cheers,
Yves
[Aug 20, 2019 3:26:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thunder7
Senior Cruncher
Netherlands
Project Badges:

My alternative would be a pair of V3/V4 engineering sample xeons from ebay. A high number of threads is what you want. I think my 80-thread dual V4 xeon was built for less than $2000.
[Aug 23, 2019 7:29:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Once upon a time I moved from 4c/8t to a 16c/32t dual cpu set up using ES cpu's and all watercooled for a bit over £2000

Keeping track was so much easier on the bigger rig and the theory was I was only buying 1 case, 1 psu etc.

It turned out to be cheaper to run too and still running 9 years later.

These days it is more costly than more modern rigs when calculating ppd

Based on the premise that the latest top of the line 2*64core AMD dual cpu offering is likely to cost £27,000 in the same format as my build above using retail cpu's , the question is:

How many smaller ryzen 3900x rigs could you build for the money and how many cores would that give you?

Then, just to throw a cat among the pidgeons, would your target work benefit from running Intel? Are you concerned with value for money? then there is a bunch of research on single socket server style kit EPYC 7551p for example.

Don't have a bottomless wallet? that could be a problem

[Edit 1 times, last edit by OldChap at Aug 24, 2019 12:41:48 PM]
[Aug 24, 2019 12:14:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

A little late to the party but... I would keep in mind whether or not the machine(s) might potentially be put to other uses simultaneously.

For example, my primary machine is a gaming rig that runs WCG whenever I'm not using it to play games. As I run into the need to upgrade my gaming rig I move the "retired" machine to a different room with a TV and turn it into a media center PC that runs WCG primarily but can be used for media center functionality as needed.
[Aug 27, 2019 1:27:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Chooka
Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

I think the 16gig of memory is a minimum. There's some real RAM hungry projects if you crunch them.
32gig would be utilized imo.

For WGC though, well I'm crunching 100% now on Mapping Cancer work, 1950X (16/32) with 32gig of ram. Only using 9.8gig. This project ISN'T a RAM hog :)

[Sep 7, 2019 5:50:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VietOZ
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Noctua NH L9x65-SE or equivalent for the 3900X

that cooler won't hold up to the 3900X for 24/7 WCG crunching and most of other projects as well. For normal operations and gaming, that should be enough. But why get that when the stock cooler can do just about as good?
For 24/7 crunching, if you plan to use air cooler, you're gonna need something with at least 6 heatpipes. I am using Noctua NH-U12A (7 heatpipes) and it can barely kept my 3900X in the mid 70s running SCC, but that is with a hefty undervolt (1.225 vcore). These 7nm can dump out so much heat so quickly that one thing we can not go cheap is the cooler. Just my honest opinion after observing it for a while. While I'm excited for the new TR, but what worries me is how am I gonna cool that beast :D

if you are looking for a team please consider XtremeSystem Team
Team website: https://xs4s.org/
[Sep 7, 2019 4:20:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

Noctua NH L9x65-SE or equivalent for the 3900X

This statement is probably not precise enough.
For a 2700, the Noctua L9x65-SE is completely OK (unfortunately the stock cooler was not fitting well in my computer case: 5 mm missing)
"or equivalent for the 3900X" means a similar but more powerful cooler for the 3900X.
It is clear that the mentioned Noctua is not adapted for the 3900X's TDP.
Nevertheless, I like how quiet Noctua coolers are.
Cheers,
Yves
[Sep 7, 2019 4:26:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VietOZ
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

I'm with you Yves. Love the Noctua coolers myself. My apologies for misunderstood your statement. Shoulda read carefully :)

if you are looking for a team please consider XtremeSystem Team
Team website: https://xs4s.org/
[Sep 7, 2019 4:37:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread