Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3490 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
The Real Weasle
Cruncher
Italy
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Chromebooks

Here is a knowledgeable (I think) answer I received on the BOINC forums. It might be of help to others:

It's either to do with an illegal system call done by the science app (and you should report this to the project), see https://android-developers.googleblog.com/201...ter-in-android-o.html?m=1.

Or it's to do with your CPU being 64bit and your OS being 64bit, but the science applications being 32bit. To be able to run 32bit applications on 64 bit Linux-derived OSes you must install 32bit versions of certain shared libraries and that's impossible on Android and Chrome OS. The fix here is to ask the project to update their science applications.

Aside from all that, the 7.4.53 version of BOINC is now so old that it's got several security problems. The developers are in high gear rewriting it from the ground up so it works from Android 4.4 to any next new update, but no ETA on when they're done.
----------------------------------------

[Jun 21, 2020 5:39:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hwierzbicki
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Doesn't the issue also have to do with the Chromebook's x86 processor? AFAIK no projects (WCG or otherwise) support Android on x86, only Android on ARM.

[Jun 21, 2020 6:17:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jord
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

AFAIK no projects (WCG or otherwise) support Android on x86, only Android on ARM.
If it didn't work here, then he wouldn't get a science application and tasks that can fail. I don't think Chrome OS is recognized as Android, but as a Linux derivative. Is there a list of applications we can look at, just as there is with other BOINC projects (with the default back-end)?

Funny, I just see that of the advice I gave him I got the first part out of this same thread. biggrin
Tears in my eyes
How they fall like rain to the floor

[Jun 21, 2020 8:37:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

AFAIK no projects (WCG or otherwise) support Android on x86, only Android on ARM.
If it didn't work here, then he wouldn't get a science application and tasks that can fail. I don't think Chrome OS is recognized as Android, but as a Linux derivative. Is there a list of applications we can look at, just as there is with other BOINC projects (with the default back-end)?

Funny, I just see that of the advice I gave him I got the first part out of this same thread. biggrin

This - https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=minimumreq

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Jun 21, 2020 8:40:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hwierzbicki
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

My Samsung Chromebook Pro:

https://i.ibb.co/Ss3WBF4/Screenshot-2020-06-21-at-10-02-36-PM.png

BOINC will download WCG Android tasks but all fail to execute. No issues when run in Crouton.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cwierzbicki at Jun 22, 2020 2:08:05 AM]
[Jun 22, 2020 2:07:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Doesn't Chrome OS support Linux in some capacity now? Maybe "Linux Beta"? If so, this means regular Linux BOINC on amd64 might be better than messing with the Android BOINC.
  • i3-8100 (Coffee Lake, 4C/4T) @ 3.6 GHz
  • i5-4590 (Haswell, 4C/4T) @ 3.3 GHz
  • E5800 (Wolfdale, 2C/2T) @ 3.2 GHz

[Jul 1, 2020 11:44:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hwierzbicki
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Not all of them, but most of them.

Any Chromebook with an ARM processor can use either BOINC for Android or BOINC for Linux (though they'd be limited to just OPN on Linux.

Most Chromebooks with an x86 processor can use BOINC for Linux via Crostini. BOINC for Android will not work for Chromebooks with an x86 processor.

For x86 Chromebooks that don't support Crostini (specifically, those with a Skylake processor), Crouton is the recommended method. Though support for Crostini should be coming "soon" with kernel 4.19.

[Jul 1, 2020 7:18:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jackielan2000
Advanced Cruncher
China
Project Badges:

If I were you, I'd just make it a dual boot system and install a Windows, 8,10 whatever and run BOINC under Windows. BOINC was probably made to work under Android with ARM in mind, not x86. Or you can install Linux.
AMD Athlon64X2 5400+ 2.8G | 2c
MT6735 1.4G | 4c
Helio G85 1.8G |8c
Allwinner H2 1G | 4c
SnapDragon 810 2.1G | 8c
SnapDragon 801 2.5G | 4c
[Mar 9, 2021 9:44:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KAMasud
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Or you can run Linux inside a Virtual Box.
[Aug 19, 2021 5:22:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread