Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2394 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
gta198
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
When ARP runs on your system

Do any of you hear a difference with your system when it runs ARP?
My system only has three moving parts ( the fans ) that are usually whisper quiet.
When I'm running a ARP task the thing sounds like a jet engine :o)
I'm not complaining, but what is difference between ARP and other tasks?
I know their run time is longer, but are they harder to crunch or something?
I run 6 out of 8 cores on this machine and let it run 24/7
[Jun 7, 2020 6:21:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: When ARP runs on your system

On my machine I noticed a slight drop in temperature when 1 of the 7 threads was working on ARP compared to 7 x OPN.
Are you run any other projects, or ARP exclusively?
[Jun 7, 2020 7:07:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

"When I'm running a ARP task the thing sounds like a jet engine"

Assuming 'a' is 1, not here, whisper quiet and I run 8 threads mix full out 100% with always one thread exclusive for ARP1.

Harder to crunch? The Minimum System Requirement table in help spells out what to expect in terms of system use for each science. ARP requires lots more
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewS...nimum+system+requirements
[Jun 7, 2020 7:19:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gta198
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I set a preference for childhood cancer and then the "send other projects when Wu's aren't avaiable fro the project. I've been getting all of them.
6 of 8 cores at 100% And mostly get microbiome and cancer markers WU's.

The requirements aren't any problem , my machine is a I7 Lenovo 8 core with 16gb of ram running ubuntu.

I was just stating that the fans got louder and was that because ARP is a "heavier task" than WU's from other projects?
[Jun 7, 2020 7:52:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Aurum
Master Cruncher
The Great Basin
Project Badges:

I was going to say I've never heard my CPU fans before but then I see you're talking about a laptop and I've never had a laptop. Try getting 6 WUs each of different projects and running them one project at a time using Suspend.
For me the GPU fans make all the noise.
----------------------------------------

...KRI please cancel all shadow-banning
[Jun 7, 2020 2:41:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoerik
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

I may just be lucky - but given how underpowered my cheap laptop is, I'm surprised it doesn't run louder.

So I can't say it does run the CPU hotter - it could be an issue with the specific CPU? Perhaps drop it down so only half of the total threads/cores are running, and see if it makes a difference?

[Jun 7, 2020 3:21:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CurtisNewton
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I have a HP Omen Laptop and the fans are very noisy, even with CPUs limited to 50%. If the GPU kicks in it really gets uncomfortable. Guess Laptops are not designed for continuos computation load. Solved the issue by buying some active noise cancellation head phones….
[Jun 7, 2020 8:03:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

gta198

I have an i7-3770 which is 4-core 8-thread. Is yours the same. I have 20 GB RAM, so my system seems to be similar to yours.

There should not be a problem with only 1 arp but it will definitely slow down with more than 4 crunching. There is also a problem with mip. Any more than 3 at a time will be likely to cause L3 cache problems.

I suggest that you use app_config to limit the numbers of those 2 projects crunching at any one time.

The peak time for arp crunching is at each checkpoint (every 12.5%) and at upload/reporting, so if you have more than one on the go, make sure that they don't checkpoint at the same time. If you do, suspend the second one for a minute or two to separate them.

Scc is currently unavailable, so consider which project(s) you wish to give second priority to and restrict the cache numbers on the others in device profiles. opn, mip and mcm are readily available. Others are not.

I hope that helps.

Mike
[Jun 10, 2020 1:53:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TonyEllis
Senior Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

Running nothing but ARP1 WUS on an i7-3770 with 16GB ram here, all 8 CPUs active. Averaging about 25 hrs per WU. It does its job as a file and mail server OK so happy to let it run like that... The project average is about 23 1/2 hours per WU - so not too far over and certainly not enough to hold back the project's progress.
[Jun 10, 2020 3:29:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Mine will also run all 8 threads on arp, but the more the slower they get. The secret really is to keep the checkpoints apart. The extra time is mostly elapsed time rather than cpu time so you don't get the extra credit, if that is what you are after. Also arp is not my priority so find reducing the arp threads achieves both goals.

My preferences are for opn and mcm at the moment.

Mike
[Jun 10, 2020 5:10:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread