Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2508 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Theory Crafting OPN CPU vs GPU

EDIT: After waiting a week for my PPD to stop fluctuating and finding a good benchmark program I have better data with which to estimate the maximum performance gains I could get once OPN adds GPU task. The benchmark I chose is called FFTW (web site is fttw.org), it's been around for decades, and it is included it the Phoronix Test Suite so it should be readily available to anyone no matter which OS you use.

I decided on FFTW for three simple reasons. First, it displays it’s results in MegaFLOPS which makes it easy to incorporate the data with what I know about my video cards. Second, it will run two tests where the first one is based on the CPU core’s Floating-Point Unit and then the second test combines the FPU and the CPU core’s SSE2 instruction set into one result. This is important because I am about 90% sure OPN tasks for the PC use SSE2. Therefore I will be using the second set of results below. The final reason I chose FFTW is because it can be small and fast which means it is a great estimate of of the raw hardware’s maximum performance. That’s important because the numbers I have for my GPU’s are all theoretical maximums.

According to FFTW my Ryzen 7 3700X CPU's do 15211 MFLOPS on each core (far higher than my initial estimates). My Xeon D1520 scores 7662 MFLOPS per core. So the combined floating-point power of my CPU’s is about:

[15211 x 8 = 121688] + [15211 x8 = 121688] + [7662 x4 = 30644] = 274020 MFLOPS or 274 GFLOPS.

Each of my three boxes has it's own GPU listed from slowest to fastest FP32 FLOPS:

Nvidia GTX 750-ti @ 1.389 TFLOPS
Nvidia GTX 970 @ 3.920 TFLOPS
Nvidia RTX 2070 @ 7.465 TFLOPS

12774 / 274 = 46.510948905

Therefore the raw hardware FLOPS of my 3 GPU's is 4651% of what my 3 CPU's can do.

On my CPU's the OPN sofware is running at (My current PPD 200,173.11 / 700) 285.96 GFLOPS per day.

Assuming that the programming overhead remains about the same when OPN is ported to GPU I could see an increase of:

46.510948905 x 285.96 = 13,300 GFLOPS per day or 9,310,189 PPD. This is almost six times lower than my original estimate but still a very substantial increase.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 7 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 11, 2020 7:32:19 AM]
[Jul 4, 2020 9:12:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
William Albert
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Theory Crafting OPN CPU vs GPU

According to cpdn.org's stat's page my Ryzen 7 3700X CPU's do 7.08 GFLOPS each.

That figure is per logical processor, not per CPU. You need to multiply it by the number of processors you've assigned, and multiply it again by the percentage of CPU time you've allocated.

GPUs still have the potential to be more powerful than CPUs, particularly if the application is able to leverage single precision or half-precision math, but the difference isn't going to be as extreme as your calculation would suggest.
[Jul 5, 2020 12:29:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hwierzbicki
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

What William Albert said. On average, the 3700X seems capable of 89.20 GFLOPS .

[Jul 5, 2020 1:02:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

12774 / 17.16 = 744.405594406 Therefor the raw hardware FLOPS of my 3 GPU's is 744.405594406% of what my 3 CPU's can do.

Sorry to have to make a basic correction, but according to your arithmetic, you can do 744 times as much with the gpu's. If you want to use per cent, you need to move the decimal point 2 places to the right. the percent is 74,441 % greater. (I rounded off the number.)
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jul 5, 2020 3:45:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

That figure is per logical processor, not per CPU. You need to multiply it by the number of processors you've assigned, and multiply it again by the percentage of CPU time you've allocated.

GPUs still have the potential to be more powerful than CPUs, particularly if the application is able to leverage single precision or half-precision math, but the difference isn't going to be as extreme as your calculation would suggest.

Yes, there is something here that I missed. I am playing with the Phoronix Test Suite today looking for a benchmark that can give me something close to raw hardware (maybe even with SSE2?) FLOPS per core. Although that will not scale 100% per SMT logical processor as William Albert suggests, it will give a better estimate to base the theory crafting on. I don't want to use the Whetstone benchmarks because it aims for "real world complexity" instead of raw FLOPS + SSE2.

The reason I am interested in SSE2 is because I am almost positive OPN uses it AutoDock.
12774 / 17.16 = 744.405594406 Therefor the raw hardware FLOPS of my 3 GPU's is 744.405594406% of what my 3 CPU's can do.

Sorry to have to make a basic correction, but according to your arithmetic, you can do 744 times as much with the gpu's. If you want to use per cent, you need to move the decimal point 2 places to the right. the percent is 74,441 % greater. (I rounded off the number.)
Cheers

I think got that formula right even if the CPU estimates are wrong. You are correct. I read your reply wrong at first. To convert the GPUs' 12.774 TeraFLOPS to GigaFLOPS I move the decimal three places to the right before dividing by the CPUs' GigaFLOPS. To get percent I must multiply that by 100, moving the decimal two more places to the right. Thanks for the catch!

On a side note, My PPD has nearly doubled over night. Combined that with my search for better benchmarks and it means I'll have to recalculate most of my original post. I'll wait another day or three and see where my PPD is before going forward.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 5, 2020 6:18:20 PM]
[Jul 5, 2020 6:14:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Aurum
Master Cruncher
The Great Basin
Project Badges:

On average, the 3700X seems capable of 89.20 GFLOPS.
Thanks for that list. Be nice if it was sortable. There are some major errors:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2698 v4 @ 2.20GHz [Family 6 Model 63 Stepping 0]	25	4.00	2.78	11.11
An E5-2698v4 is 20c40t and not much less powerful than an E5-2699v4. Seeing numerous other examples. Also they list fractional Average cores/computer so pretty much every one of their values is less than full strength. I guess one must only use the GFLOPS/core values.

Anyone know of a similar list for GPUs?

...KRI please cancel all shadow-banning
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Aurum420 at Jul 5, 2020 6:46:39 PM]
[Jul 5, 2020 6:41:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Anyone know of a similar list for GPUs?

This is what I use. The GFLOPS (both single and double precision) are listed for the later-generation cards at the bottom.
AMD:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units
Nvidia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units
[Jul 5, 2020 10:35:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

On average, the 3700X seems capable of 89.20 GFLOPS.
Thanks for that list. Be nice if it was sortable.

It is sortable with a minimal work. Merely highlight from the column headers on down and then paste into a spreadsheet. Once in the spreadsheet it is easily sortable any which way you want.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jul 6, 2020 1:11:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
WMCheerman
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I always took the amount of points my CPU gets on WCG and divide it by 700 to get my GFLOPS, is that not a correct way as well?
[Jul 6, 2020 4:32:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

OK, I have reworked my original post to include new data.
[Jul 11, 2020 7:22:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread