Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1514 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
rbm73
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
WCG website not responding

On the last weekend of January 2021 I stopped getting tasks on my MacBook. I am signed up for several projects but have been receiving only work for the Africa Rainfall Project for a while.

I did have a message in the Boinc Manager window talking about needing 1500+ MB of disk space (I have allotted 5 GB, and was allowing 10 GB previously). That message disappeared when I removed the WCG project and re-added it. That did not restart the flow of tasks.

Since I get no error messages following a request for more tasks, I do not know where to look for a problem.

Can you tell me how to start receiving projects? My device is named RMead_MacBook.local (or something like that).

Thanks.
[Feb 4, 2021 2:12:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: WCG website not responding

Please post some messages from your event log (listed under tools), maybe about 25 to 50 lines. We may be able to see what the problem might be from there.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Feb 4, 2021 2:57:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rbm73
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

here is the most recent request result:
Thu Feb 4 11:04:21 2021 | World Community Grid | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
Thu Feb 4 11:04:21 2021 | World Community Grid | No tasks sent
Thu Feb 4 11:04:21 2021 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Help Stop TB
Thu Feb 4 11:04:21 2021 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for Smash Childhood Cancer
Thu Feb 4 11:04:21 2021 | World Community Grid | Message from server: Mapping Cancer Markers needs 500.00MB more disk space. You currently have 0.00 MB available and it needs 500.00 MB.
Thu Feb 4 11:04:21 2021 | World Community Grid | Message from server: Africa Rainfall Project needs 1536.00MB more disk space. You currently have 0.00 MB available and it needs 1536.00 MB.
Thu Feb 4 11:04:21 2021 | World Community Grid | No tasks are available for the applications you have selected.
Thu Feb 4 11:04:21 2021 | World Community Grid | Project requested delay of 121 seconds

A check of my HD shows 10.21 GB available. Stopping and restarting BOINC Manager doesn't do anything to get it to retrieve the correct HD availability.

Thank you for looking at this.
[Feb 4, 2021 4:10:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Check under the "Options" tab and select "computing preferences" and let us know what it says under "disk and memory".
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Feb 4, 2021 5:42:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rbm73
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

the disk options are:
use no more than 10 GB
leave at least 10 GB free
use no more than 10%

Those are not the options set in the device profile on WCG.

My first attempt to correct this was to go to WCG and change the options because I was close to 10 GB remaining (at that time disk usage included WCG files). I set usage to 5GB max, and leaving 5GB. Then on my computer I reset the project (throwing away all task files, I presumed). This did not fix the problem.

I looked at the device profile today, didn't save it, but made sure it had the settings I thought I had changed. It did.

Today I also cleaned up my disk, adding about 2.5 GB of free space. Now at 12.75 GB available.

Surprisingly (or perhaps not so much of a surprise) BOINC is now working, and running two tasks. HOWEVER, the disk settings on my computer DO NOT match those set on WCG. In spite of the fact that I am running again, that seems to be a problem in the way the configuration gets updated from WCG to my computer. Could it have downloaded settings from the wrong device profile?

I hope you can track down that consistency. If I can assist in that, please let me know.

Thank you for your help.
[Feb 4, 2021 5:58:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bryn Mawr
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

the disk options are:
use no more than 10 GB
leave at least 10 GB free
use no more than 10%

Those are not the options set in the device profile on WCG.

My first attempt to correct this was to go to WCG and change the options because I was close to 10 GB remaining (at that time disk usage included WCG files). I set usage to 5GB max, and leaving 5GB. Then on my computer I reset the project (throwing away all task files, I presumed). This did not fix the problem.

I looked at the device profile today, didn't save it, but made sure it had the settings I thought I had changed. It did.

Today I also cleaned up my disk, adding about 2.5 GB of free space. Now at 12.75 GB available.

Surprisingly (or perhaps not so much of a surprise) BOINC is now working, and running two tasks. HOWEVER, the disk settings on my computer DO NOT match those set on WCG. In spite of the fact that I am running again, that seems to be a problem in the way the configuration gets updated from WCG to my computer. Could it have downloaded settings from the wrong device profile?

I hope you can track down that consistency. If I can assist in that, please let me know.

Thank you for your help.

Boinc can be running several projects, each with their own options page plus the local options page within the Boinc manager on the computer itself and because there can only be one set of options in use at any given time there is not necessarily a link between the values on you WCG account and those in use.

It sounds as though you’re running on the local values.
[Feb 4, 2021 6:11:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rbm73
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

it does sound like the local options apply.

however, i run only one project, WCG, on the computer in question. And I have never set the options locally. I expect the device profile on WCG to apply and to be downloaded at the next update request if it has been changed.

It sounds like the WCG profile is essentially meaningless on the local computer.

Is it unreasonable to expect that the WCG profile will update the computer that is requesting tasks? If so, perhaps the disk and cpu usage parameters in the WCG profile should be removed as they don't seem to apply to anything.
[Feb 4, 2021 11:16:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PMH_UK
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

If the local options have been set that will over-ride options from any web site.
Look in "options", "Computer Preferences".
It will say at top where prefs come from, local or which web site.
Local can be cleared by a button at top right.

Paul.
Paul.
[Feb 4, 2021 11:21:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rbm73
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

they certainly to hide some of the options.

thanks for your help.
[Feb 5, 2021 9:19:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rbm73
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

This is the first time I have noticed that my computer was not running with the parameters I entered into the WCG device profile.

My best guess is the latest BOINC update changed my local BOINC option to use local profile vice the downloaded profile. I have never used my BOINC Manager to enter a run profile, so if it is populated, those choices must have heretofore been downloaded from WCG (the only project on this particular computer).

Something to watch for when the manager app is updated, I suppose.
[Feb 6, 2021 9:05:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread