Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20369 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
thunder7
Senior Cruncher
Netherlands
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
community-suggested most efficient builds?

I would love to get some information together here on what would be optimum builds, say

100W continously, US$ 500 maximum, used components - what combination would get the most results per day?

and then say double that, 200W / US$ 1000 ?

And the fastest system for US$ 1500 - power consumption not important?
[Dec 21, 2022 8:52:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:
Re: community-suggested most efficient builds?

You know it will be hard to measure "the most results per day" in these times because of the problems at WCG. I have a Ryzen 9 3900X (24 threads) and if it were not for Tn-Grid it would have no work often enough. If I had to re-do it again I would go with a 5950x.

My suggestion is to build your own PC. A Ryzen 9 5950x sounds good. I didn't go crazy on the motherboard. A basic B550. I used an old case, old disk, old video card, old keyboard/mouse (or go headless).

Don't skimp on lots of good memory, and a fan. I used a Noctua NH-D15S. It's running at 69.4-70.1 degrees C, and it's winter. Hotter in summer.

I think you could do that for $1500 USD.

I have nothing to measure watts
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BobbyB at Dec 22, 2022 5:23:24 AM]
[Dec 22, 2022 5:22:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thunder7
Senior Cruncher
Netherlands
Project Badges:

Well, I'm currently most in love with my dual 2696V4, but one thing that is surprising is the memory use is next to nothing - 88 threads use about 9 Gigabyte of memory.
Total price would be a little less, around US$ 1300 (US$ 300 case + powersupply + low-end videocard/drive, US$ 400 processors, US$ 100 memory, US$ 300 motherboard, US$200 cpu coolers). I agree on getting work - the tap just doesn't seem fully open yet. I had 1000 tasks yesterday - 44 hours worth. Now I'm down to 800, only 36 hours worth.

But it's hard to compare 88 threads @ 2.8 Ghz with 32 threads @ 4.5 Ghz. The built in benchmark is, in linux at least, very sensitive to the version and the optimization used.
[Dec 22, 2022 5:36:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bryn Mawr
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

My Ryzen 9 3900 machines cost me about $450 each with a second hand CPU and graphics card and draw 135w continuous.

That’s 24 threads of a reasonably fast processor that has a TDP of 65w so I’m happy :-)
[Dec 22, 2022 11:11:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

How did you measure watts? Gadget or calculation?

I should have gone with the 3900 and not the 3900X: 65w TDP vs 105w TDP. But what did I know then?

And what do you use for cooling?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BobbyB at Dec 22, 2022 2:37:51 PM]
[Dec 22, 2022 2:31:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bryn Mawr
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

How did you measure watts? Gadget or calculation?

I should have gone with the 3900 and not the 3900X: 65w TDP vs 105w TDP. But what did I know then?

And what do you use for cooling?

Plug in gadget and they both show as pretty stable.

The 3900s can be hard to find, you have to wait a while.

I use the stock cooler from the higher wattage CPUs and it works well.
[Dec 22, 2022 6:31:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
davethebuilder
Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

This is a similiar question to what I asked when trying to decide between AMD and Intel. I've always used Intel but there seems to be solid support for AMD especially in Eco mode so it's worth considering. DDR5 is still expensive but is coming down in price.

I agree that WCG is too erratic at this time so you might need to wait until it stabilises before trying to assess how to configure a system to maximise results.

As for measuring power usage - if possible, use a dedicated circuit for WCG work and have it separately metered. Also, if you have solar panels on the roof then the feedback can be offset against the cost of electricity. It depends on where your system is set up, how you power supply is configured and the weather in your part of the world. UPS is also used in areas where the power supply is erratic but that further increases the power charges.

Some time ago I wrote to our Federal Government seeking a rebate on the infrastructure and cost of electricity against my tax return but was refused because WCG was administered overseas and there was no way to for our government to audit it.
[Dec 24, 2022 2:32:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

the weather in your part of the world
Yes!

With 2 feet of snow on the roof,crying solar panels would do me no good right now.

I do use a UPS but just to protect against brown-outs and electrical blips. Happened about 6-8 times this year.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BobbyB at Dec 25, 2022 2:40:35 AM]
[Dec 25, 2022 2:39:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jeffreys
Cruncher

Gamers Nexus now puts the 7900 (not to be confused with the 7900x) as the king of power efficiency as far as current gen desktop CPUs go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtVowYykviM

12 core 24 thread 65W. You'd get insane throughput and that's easily air cooled without having to go into the BIOS to enable ECO mode. Not sure how it would rank on a crunching / dollar basis however.

FWIW, 13th gen Intel also has it's own version of ECO mode, it's just not called ECO mode.
[Jan 11, 2023 4:59:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread