Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2539 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
2023-02-28 Update (workunit shortage)

Recent workunit shortage

Dear volunteers, here’s a short update about the inconsistent number of WUs being distributed. We use scripts to generate work units from the input data downloaded from servers of individual project groups. The scripts run periodically and attempt to maintain several days' supply of work. To do this, they frequently re-estimate the daily rate of work processed by WCG volunteers. When the number of WUs on an active project are running low, the science team is notified.

Recent shortage of WUs was caused by a feedback loop where low supply led to low consumption, leading to low daily rate estimates, leading to less work generated by the scripts.

We are manually altering the parts of the system to boost the supply; therefore, increasing the amount of work units we have available for processing. We started our edits yesterday, so we expect after 1 or 2 days we will see a regular amount of units again. We have also implemented some additional monitors to prevent such issues in the future.

If you have any comments or questions, please leave them in this thread for us to answer. Thank you for your support.

WCG Team
[Feb 28, 2023 8:53:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hans Sveen
Veteran Cruncher
Norge
Project Badges:
Re: 2023-02-28 Update (workunit shortage)

Hi!
Thank You very much for the update and explanation !

Will ARP1 wus also be boosted and come back soon,
what about HST??

Keep up the good work!

With regards,
Hans S.
Oslo
[Feb 28, 2023 9:09:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Unixchick
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thank you for the update. It is nice to know the problem is fixed, and also get a peak behind the curtain on how the system works.

I want to mention again that my list of results is still growing larger each day. Some of the WUs in my list were validated on Feb 6. They should not still be in my list of results. Something is wrong.
[Feb 28, 2023 9:13:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Freewill
Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Cyclops,
Thanks for the update. Why not monitor the number of work units ready to send for a project and never let it drop below a certain number? I don't think you can estimate how long a supply will last because since Krembil took over, you have not put out enough work to keep everyone's PC loaded. Certainly not my modest fleet.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Freewill at Feb 28, 2023 10:40:05 PM]
[Feb 28, 2023 10:39:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Cyclops
Thank you for the update.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Mar 1, 2023 4:03:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread