Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 64
Posts: 64   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 27207 times and has 63 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: 2022-07-04 Update

IBM was around for 6 months. Maybe Krembril shouldn't have raised their hand. They were still installing hardware at Christmas time. If IBM was smart they should have just shut it down on December 31st. If Krembil was smart, they would have started a new project with basic BOINC infrastructure like other much smaller BOINC projects. Why didn't Krembil ask for some kind of support agreement when they decided to take the project?
[Jul 5, 2022 6:05:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gretar
Cruncher
Iceland
Project Badges:

Thanks for the update!
[Jul 5, 2022 6:17:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

Well, there are several other problems too. Changes of the "General Preferences" on the "Device management" page on the WCG website, isn't picked up by BOINC at all.

Normally when you change the prefs, the next time the agent communicates with the server, will bring a message to the BOINC Event Log, that says:
World Community Grid 2022-XX-XX XX:XX:XX General prefs: from World Community Grid (last modified XX-xxx-2022 XX:XX:XX)

That does not happen now when you change the prefs. My message in the event log still says:
World Community Grid 2022-07-05 20:05:08 General prefs: from World Community Grid (last modified 26-Feb-2022 14:47:03)

My last update of the prefs before the migration outage, was as can be seen 26-Feb-2022 14:47:03. Any changes made now though, does not seem to be picked up by BOINC, even though the scheduler is running now.

So, more issues I would say......

Edit, added: But I'm in no hurry. I can wait until the cows come home. smile
----------------------------------------

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at Jul 5, 2022 6:35:19 PM]
[Jul 5, 2022 6:23:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Acibant
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

If Krembil was smart, they would have started a new project with basic BOINC infrastructure like other much smaller BOINC projects.
I really do wonder why this wasn't the case. We're at four months down and even Berkeley doesn't think it takes that long to bring a project online from scratch.

It takes (very roughly) three man-months to create a BOINC project: one month of an experienced sys admin, one month of a programmer, and one month of a web developer. Once the project is running, budget a 50% FTE (mostly system admin) to maintain it.

[Jul 5, 2022 10:55:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

WCG is not just one project. It is a series of projects linked together. That 3 months wouldn't cover it. Also, we would have lost our badges, etc.
[Jul 6, 2022 12:55:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SP15161
Cruncher
Project Badges:

It sounds to me that there wasn't a test environment prior to the migration, and that someone thought that the whole migration would a copy-paste procedure. It is very common on far-from-the-ground management.
[Jul 6, 2022 7:32:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
phillipspencer
Advanced Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

Maybe the wait is over? Just noticed I am 33% through an Open Pandemics task. Fingers crossed!
[Jul 6, 2022 2:13:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
moefugger
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Good to know.
When you get running you get running.
Since it runs in the background.
Not like something I use.
[Jul 6, 2022 8:57:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 64   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread