Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 27
Posts: 27   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 21309 times and has 26 replies Next Thread
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Update: July 25 system outage and defective OPNG work units

roundup said:
No word on the reasons for the outages before the scheduled maintenance?
No word on the upload still not working properly?

Exactly. TigerLily, do you have any information? We're about to go into a weekend without acknowledgement about these two things. The silence is really confusing, and quite a lot of users are curious about both of them.

Thank you for your time.
----------------------------------------
  • i3-8100 (Coffee Lake, 4C/4T) @ 3.6 GHz
  • i5-4590 (Haswell, 4C/4T) @ 3.3 GHz
  • E5800 (Wolfdale, 2C/2T) @ 3.2 GHz

[Jul 28, 2023 9:35:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AgrFan
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

TigerLily,

Why has work distribution for all projects been stopped?

SCC1 and OPN1 were running fine after the outage. OPNG and MCM1 seem to be the only projects having problems.

Are you not able to stop work distribution for a single project?
[Edit 7 times, last edit by AgrFan at Jul 28, 2023 10:25:35 PM]
[Jul 28, 2023 9:44:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dayle Diamond
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I have forwarded your post to the team to investigate what the problem might be.

We should take this as confirmation that nobody in the team would have found out about the MCM shortage organically, because nobody's contributing to the public-facing aspects of the project.

This is something I've been suggesting might be a problem for a while, and would explain why WCG staff post with no badges.

What's the reticence against contributing to your own projects?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dayle Diamond at Jul 29, 2023 12:04:07 PM]
[Jul 29, 2023 12:03:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thunder7
Senior Cruncher
Netherlands
Project Badges:

And to prevent having to answer the same question in twenty different threads, maybe another idea that's been proposed again and again, a.k.a. 'The Status Page', should be looked at again.

This would also prevent users who don't have or want Twitter or Facebook from having no updates, by the way...
[Jul 29, 2023 4:40:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

And to prevent having to answer the same question in twenty different threads, maybe another idea that's been proposed again and again, a.k.a. 'The Status Page', should be looked at again.

This would also prevent users who don't have or want Twitter or Facebook from having no updates, by the way...

I like StatusPage.io that a lot of big companies use. It's super pretty: https://www.atlassian.com/software/statuspage

I like the idea of a status page, but it would have to be hosted on a totally separate infrastructure. Likely a different datacenter just to shield from any issues with UHN's datacenter having major outages.

A lot of those pretty status systems can be automated, but I don't think WCG is there yet for that many integrations, so it'd have to be a manual status page updated by a human.

I doubt any status implementation would be taken on by WCG's shoestring budget. The "News" section is honestly pretty good, as long as the WCG Website is carved off so it doesn't go down when WCG BOINC goes down, or the forums go down. It's weird for them all to go down at the same time tbh. That's multiple Severity 1 incidents.
  • i3-8100 (Coffee Lake, 4C/4T) @ 3.6 GHz
  • i5-4590 (Haswell, 4C/4T) @ 3.3 GHz
  • E5800 (Wolfdale, 2C/2T) @ 3.2 GHz

[Jul 31, 2023 7:51:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Link64
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Server status page is part of the BOINC server software, every other project has it. Like this for example: https://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/server_status.php. Costs nothing and gives the possibility to 3rd party sites to display the information even if WCG servers are down, like for example this. They just need to use it.

[Jul 31, 2023 4:06:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

The system outage experienced due to scheduled maintenance is now complete. We are aware of problems with OPNG work units and are investigating this issue.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/article.s?articleId=799
So, what happens with the broken/misconfigured OPNG tasks? Are they fixed, and will be sent out again?

[Jul 31, 2023 6:35:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bluestang
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The system outage experienced due to scheduled maintenance is now complete. We are aware of problems with OPNG work units and are investigating this issue.

So, what happens with the broken/misconfigured OPNG tasks? Are they fixed, and will be sent out again?

Better yet...give us Credit for for all the wasted resources.
[Jul 31, 2023 8:22:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Aperture_Science_Innovators
Advanced Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Better yet...give us Credit for for all the wasted resources.

FWIW, the wasted resources appear to mostly be on WCG's end, not the volunteer's end. At least my experience was that the WUs all failed pretty much instantly, without consuming any appreciable resources (I was seeing them all fail within about 2 minutes, vs the 15-30 minutes they usually take to run). So, while a nuisance, didn't really consume much resources for us, mostly just wasted server time sending and collecting them.

[Aug 1, 2023 4:04:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
phillipspencer
Advanced Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

roundup said:
No word on the reasons for the outages before the scheduled maintenance?
No word on the upload still not working properly?

Exactly. TigerLily, do you have any information? We're about to go into a weekend without acknowledgement about these two things. The silence is really confusing, and quite a lot of users are curious about both of them.

Thank you for your time.

Agreed. Even though the "planned outage" was flagged well in advance, whatever happened was not "as planned" and there is still no clarity on what actually happened.
[Aug 2, 2023 6:01:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 27   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread