Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 64
Posts: 64   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 29477 times and has 63 replies Next Thread
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: 2022-07-04 Update

I have total faith in that Krembil and Jurisica Lab will succeed in making WCG a success again. It may take much longer than they hoped for, but what's the hurry, as long as the scientists with their projects in WCG don't complain.

Patience, patience, Rome wasn't built in a day.
----------------------------------------

[Jul 8, 2022 10:13:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
sad Re: 2022-07-04 Update

I have total faith in that Krembil and Jurisica Lab will succeed in making WCG a success again. It may take much longer than they hoped for, but what's the hurry, as long as the scientists with their projects in WCG don't complain.
well, I wish I had your confidence!

I am not sure what you do professionally, but for me as an IT professional, how things are progressing (or the lack thereof) and the lackluster communication is serverely limiting my confidence.

There simply doesn't seem to be a clear path of progress. And for every step forward, there seems to be at least another half step backwards.

After getting a bunch of both OPN1 and MCM WUs, with all but one host already returning the results, now the first batch (actually about 1/3) have fallen of the grid (pun intended), without those results showing up anywhere in the stats of the web sites (there are some stats hitting BOINC stats, but I didn't get around if those match "reality", they seem to be rather on the low side). Given that is seems rather random which parts of the web site are actually active (I am talking about the stuff under "My contribution"), it is kind of uncertain if those are being counted but not showing up, or if all those test results are now falling off the wagon, as nobody is looking at that particular issue. It's clear that Krembil got their hands full getting the in and ot of BOINC stuff working, but there should be at least more regular communication and status updates...

Ralf

[Jul 12, 2022 10:30:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

It's clear that Krembil got their hands full getting the in and ot of BOINC stuff working, but there should be at least more regular communication and status updates...
You do have a point about them having their hands full. But, I do see they are making progress, albeit slowly.
As far as the communication goes, it was nice of Dr. Jurisica to jump in with some explanation, but I think he is close to the top mover and shaker at Krembil. He should not have to be the one who should be doing the bulk of letting volunteers know what is going on. Cyclops, even if he(she) is an intern (?), should step up to the plate and be curating this forum. If not him(her ?) then someone else. It should not be that hard to see what the issues are and what the volunteers are posting. Something as simple as an acknowledgement of the pertinent item and that it has been put on a to do list someplace. For example: We are aware of this issue which will be assigned to our tech team. I will followup in 7 days with an update.
I don't know if Kevin Reed or Keith Uplinger have any association with the move to Krembil, but if I was on Krembil's team, I would get in touch with them and make an offer to them to come on board as consultants for maybe a week to 10 days. Their know-how could be invaluable. Just a thought.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jul 13, 2022 1:52:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

After getting a bunch of both OPN1 and MCM WUs (…) now the first batch (actually about 1/3) have fallen of the grid (…), it is kind of uncertain if those are being counted but not showing up (…)

Ralf

Well, Ralf, I wondered myself, too, and I've looked into the issue with the help of Boinc Manager. It appears that "Work done" and "Avg. work done" are increasing(*1). The numbers are going up and that can or should only mean one thing: that somehow, in some way, the Boinc Manager is automagically getting some information that we don't see about credit being added to your total on the website (yet(*2)). Agree? (It's just logical thinking.)

[*1] Just before I was getting any work, I think it was 6 July (2022), "Avg. work done" was showing something like 0.25 in my BM (Boinc Manager). It's now one week later and "Avg. work done" has increased to a much higher number (1,380.69) on my machine, after returning more than 100 results.

[*2] What we see on the website under "My Contribution" is that the crontab job for updating the statistics at 12:00 and 00:00 UTC doesn't run (yet), that's why it stll says "Last updated: Feb. 27, 2022 - 23:59 UTC".

Now if you have work returned in this test phase - talking to others, too - and these test tasks were marked valid, then multiply your "Work done" - shown in Boinc Manager - by 7 and compare that to the number of Points shown under "My Contribution" on the website. Are they the same for you?
[Jul 13, 2022 9:34:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There "seems" (lack of communication) to be a disconnect between the web part and the BOINC infrastructure. Case in point, the inability to update the profiles and have them impact the work sent.
[Jul 13, 2022 1:04:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Moto
Cruncher

[Jul 13, 2022 4:03:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Zigfried
Senior Cruncher
Brazil
Project Badges:

I remember when they were starting to port to this new platform and it should be running again in March. Four months later and we are still out of service. I am really worried about how many voluntiers we already lost due to this delay.

[Jul 13, 2022 6:21:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

If you remember that they should start again in March, then you remember wrong.

The restart of WCG is late yes, but they never said it should be running again in March. Here's the original schedule for the "migration".
From "News", posted on 9 Feb 2022 here:WCG Data Transfer Underway.

• World Community Grid pauses sending out work units: February 14, 2022.
  • World Community Grid pauses receiving work units: February 27, 2022.
  • Website and forum will be offline: from February 28 until April 22, 2022.
    A simplified version of the website will act as a sign post during the transition,
    to share updates and communicate our progress and roadmap for the World
    Community Grid in 2022.

[Edit 4 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at Jul 13, 2022 7:08:47 PM]
[Jul 13, 2022 6:54:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
sad Re: 2022-07-04 Update

After getting a bunch of both OPN1 and MCM WUs (…) now the first batch (actually about 1/3) have fallen of the grid (…), it is kind of uncertain if those are being counted but not showing up (…)

Ralf

Well, Ralf, I wondered myself, too, and I've looked into the issue with the help of Boinc Manager. It appears that "Work done" and "Avg. work done" are increasing(*1). The numbers are going up and that can or should only mean one thing: that somehow, in some way, the Boinc Manager is automagically getting some information that we don't see about credit being added to your total on the website (yet(*2)). Agree? (It's just logical thinking.)
Well, yes, the BOINC manager statistcs (and BOINCStats, I don't use any other external stats site) do show something, but it is impossible to verify if that is even remotely correct, because...
Now if you have work returned in this test phase - talking to others, too - and these test tasks were marked valid, then multiply your "Work done" - shown in Boinc Manager - by 7 and compare that to the number of Points shown under "My Contribution" on the website. Are they the same for you?
That is the point where soft brown matter hits a fast rotating appliance....

There is NOTHING showing up on the "My contribution" page!

The only parts "moving" on that page is that there is (falsely for those days were some "test" WUs were being send out) the "activity heat map", where it just puts out a new square with the date (the last one showing 01-01-1970) and 0 run time. And the "Current streak" keeps (most of the time) increasing, but that's a mute statistic anyway.

The summary of "My contribution" (Runtime, Results returned and Points earned) doesn't change, nor does the table at the bottom "My project contribution", which still shows all the exact data from the point of the shutdown (I took note of the active projects values and neither OPN1 and MCM did change due to the test WUs that have been returned and validated).
The "My activity over time" table is completely empty, the "Top badges" above that shows my (unchanged) 14 top badges as they were before the stop (at least they show with the previous state, not enough runtime on either OPN1 nor MCM to get a new badge yet), the "Devices" part shows three random ones (only two possibly active, one of them an Android device, the third one is in storage for the last 6 weeks) and when selecting "View all", you just get an empty table.

That is all rather odd, as in the past, if there was a hickup with the stats, it was always that the external stats .XML file would not have been created and that process needed a kick in the soft side...

The "Results" page (as screwed up as it is since the web site got that "make over" (to the worse, for the most part) does (did) show the test WUs that I received and their respective status (In progress, pending validation, valid) for a couple of days, before the valid ones (didn't see any invalid/error ones for this test) drop off, without any of them apparently being applied to above mentioned stats sections. And the later could possibly mean that there have been up to a couple of weeks (in my case) of run time have been wasted and might never been counted. That's might be a bit disappointing for me (those numbers don't make a huge dent in my overall stats), but if this happens to some of the not so frequent/active crunchers, there might be more people walking off WCG that probably already have at this poin...

Ralf

[Jul 13, 2022 7:43:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Ralf

Well, yes, the BOINC manager statistcs (and BOINCStats, I don't use any other external stats site) do show something, but it is impossible to verify if that is even remotely correct, because...
That is the point where soft brown matter hits a fast rotating appliance....

There is NOTHING showing up on the "My contribution" page!

Exactly, Ralf!

The point is that your "Work done" - shown in Boinc Manager - multiplied by 7 is NOT equal to what is shown in "My Contribution". That's what I was trying to communicate.

In other words, our contribution is increasing according to "Work done" in Boinc Manager. That's the important message that I wanted to bring to you. It is increasing (although the statistics on "My Contribution" aren't being updated yet, but that's not important at this time). So, once again, think with me, the important part is that "Work done" is increasing. That can only mean one thing, or don't you think so?

The summary of "My contribution" (Runtime, Results returned and Points earned) doesn't change

(emphasis mine)
There! You've said it! That is exactly what I meant! blushing
Again: compare "Points" and "Work done" (times 7): "Work done" (times 7) is much more than "Points" (if you have returned a few valid results in the past week). That's my point.

I'll be keeping a close eye on "Work done" to see if it keeps increasing. If it's decreasing then it's 'foute boel' (= gone wrong) as we say in Dutch.
[Jul 13, 2022 8:30:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 64   Pages: 7   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread