Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 389 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
BOINC Client 7.24.1 and non-default profiles

A recent large set of updates on one of my systems included BOINC client (which I didn't spot...); I had a bit of trouble with a previous 7.24.1 upgrade on a different system, and I'm seeing the same here...

What happens is that if the device uses the [unnamed] default profile (however it might have been modified) the client picks it up and uses it with just the one "Host location: none" preferences sequence (with a valid ;last modified time) -- this behaves as it should whether I have local preferences or not.

If, however, the device uses any of the other profiles every contact with the server results in a repeat of
General prefs: from World Community Grid (last modified ---)
followed by a list of all the settings. This happens whether I have local preferences or not.

I note the non-existent modified time, but an older client (7.20.5) shows the same if I change anything in the profile but doesn't keep reporting it on each server access!

I'm not sure whether it's a bug in the client (perhaps looking for the profile modify time in the wrong place, or just over-reporting it) or if it is an issue with non-default device profiles at WCG that just happened to not upset the earlier client.

So I'd like to know if anyone here is successfully using a 7.24 client with one of the named profiles with either a valid modified time showing or it not repeating the messages on each contact...

Thanks in advance - Al.

P.S. I've worked round it for now by using the default profile to stop the spamming, but that isn't really suitable for the system in question.
[Apr 16, 2024 9:04:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:
Re: BOINC Client 7.24.1 and non-default profiles

What operating system is it that you're running on that system that has been updated, Al?
I haven't seen the new BOINC-version on Fedora 39/40 yet.

Adri
[Apr 16, 2024 11:53:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Adri,

I'm on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my Intel & AMD systems -- I use Gianfranco's repository versions because the Ubuntu-supplied versions are usual;ly a long way out of date (and sometimes buggy as a result!)

The previous repository version was 7.20.5, which is still current for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Debian bookworm. Debian SID is now on 7.24.1...

Cheers - Al.
[Apr 16, 2024 8:27:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

So what am I missing?

Two weeks ago I updated my three Linux boxes to Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS [5.15.0-72-generic|libc 2.35]

The time before that (long ago) it updated my Boinc to 7.18.1 and I was pleasantly surprised. However, not this time. So what am I missing.

The Berkeley site is not too useful useless for updating.

I looked at the Gianfranco's repository and the first thing which caught my eye is "You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by... ...". The two magic words are unsupported and untrusted.
[Apr 17, 2024 4:17:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

BobbyB,

My main reason for not wanting a pre-7.20 client was a massive bug whereby using the max_concurrent or max_project_concurrent options in an app_config.xml file would result in excess task downloads from any site that didn't have a task limit akin to that offered in WCG profiles -- it was getting the "work needed" calculations wrong when those options were present. I really didn't need several hundred Einstein tasks at once :-)

As for unsupported and untrusted -- that is a standard warning associated with such repositories. This is the first major issue I've had with a 7.2x version, and it's an inconvenience rather than being fatal (at present) -- it becomes a problem if I am forced to upgrade my other systems to a version with the same issue, as using the default WCG profile for some of them would be totally unsuitable... That's why I'm interested in whether it's a client issue or a WCG profiles issue :-)

Cheers - Al.,

P.S. I happen to be on Linux, but the original question was intended to be platform-agnostic, as there are similar versions out there for Macs and Windows...
[Apr 17, 2024 6:52:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

I just re-read your initial post.

Did you mean these lines:
World Community Grid | General prefs: from World Community Grid (last modified 12-Mar-2024 16:06:07)
World Community Grid | Computer location: home
| General prefs: using separate prefs for home
| Reading preferences override file
| Preferences:
| max memory usage when active: 25607.52 MB
| max memory usage when idle: 28808.46 MB
etc
etc

And I just thought this was normal stuff. smile

So if using that repository what else do I get which is then not vanilla Ubuntu whenever I allow another Ubuntu update. I like vanilla.
[Apr 17, 2024 8:48:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

I just re-read your initial post.
Thank you :-) -- and what follows is useful!!!
Did you mean these lines:
World Community Grid | General prefs: from World Community Grid (last modified 12-Mar-2024 16:06:07)
World Community Grid | Computer location: home
| General prefs: using separate prefs for home
| Preferences:
| max memory usage when active: 25607.52 MB
| max memory usage when idle: 28808.46 MB
etc
etc

And I just thought this was normal stuff. smile
It is "normal" stuff, but with previous clients it only appeared if I changed local preferences or tinkered with a particular WCG profile ...

As an example of what I see that is different, here's something from one of my clients that is still on 7.20.5, taken at 22:23:11 UTC on the 17th. I had to make a minor change to local preferences to get it to appear (as should be the case...)

World Community Grid | General prefs: from World Community Grid (last modified --- )
World Community Grid | Computer location: work
General prefs: using separate prefs for work
| Preferences:
etc.

Note the bit highlighted in red, which is what I think triggers the problem for 7.24.1, where it seems to tell me all that stuff every time it contacts any BOINC project...

I note that your example shows a valid "modified time" for your "home" profile, which is a very useful bit of information... I'm assuming that you aren't being spammed with that stuff every time that client contacts the server, in which case it suggests my next action...

I'll see if I can get my profiles "looked at" by the techs, but I still reckon the behaviour (for a missing "last modified" time?} should probably not have changed between versions :-)

So if using that repository what else do I get which is then not vanilla Ubuntu whenever I allow another Ubuntu update. I like vanilla.
One of the key reasons for changing (apart from that max_concurrent bug!) was that older clients couldn't accurately work out the amount of RAM for NVIDIA GPUs with more than 4GB :-)

At some point Ubuntu is going to have to move to a recent version... It looks as if 24.04 (Noble) will use BOINC client 7.24.1 (which matches Debian SID) and Gianfranco's repository.

Cheers - Al.

[Edited to make the sample date explicit (as the post went in near midnight BST!), and to add NVIDIA comment]
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by alanb1951 at Apr 17, 2024 11:42:49 PM]
[Apr 17, 2024 11:34:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Correct, that stuff was logged after I did a boot today and no more. I just did a local save without a change and it also logged.

I'll see about that update and I will try first with the vanilla repository. Am not a Linux guy so I tread very softly when modifying anything in Linux. I need to know what will happen and if I can't get that info then it's hands off.
[Apr 17, 2024 11:54:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

I'll see about that update and I will try first with the vanilla repository. Am not a Linux guy so I tread very softly when modifying anything in Linux. I need to know what will happen and if I can't get that info then it's hands off.
That's a common-sense attitude :-)

By the way, if you have Synaptic Package Manager it is fairly easy to revert to the vanilla version of a package by "forcing" the version, and that should work without needing to disable/remove the PPA. However, if you're not confident about it, that's fair enough...

Thanks for your contribution to this thread; it has been very useful.

Cheers - Al.
[Apr 18, 2024 1:49:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BobbyB
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

OK I'm on 7.24.1 on that machine and the Gianfranco's repository is removed. Yes I found that I am using the Synaptic Package Manager and it removed it. Easy. Seems like a long way around to update Boinc.but anyway. Need to do the other two.

While first looking at how to remove the repository by hand, I went to a site with Firefox which actually crashed the system. Oh Boy am I in trouble now I thought. I did it 2 more times to be sure.

But no, I tried the same site using another similar Ubuntu machine and BOOM. Updated it and tried it again. BOOM. Guess I need to find out how to report that.

Nothing to do with Boinc.

That was fun.
[Apr 18, 2024 7:58:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread