Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 552 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
agent started new task instead of continuing the old one (after closing apps manually)

hi

i have one question about the wcg agent, i let my computer run for several hours (running fightaids@home), when i came back i wanted to see how far the project was at that time so i wanted to open it via the small task icon (next to the system clock) but it wasn't there so i opened the windows task manager and closed ..

WCGrid_AutoDoc... (it was still hard at work), then
ud_*******.exe and then
UD.EXE

then i started the WCG agent again (via the windows start menu), but after its start it did not continue the old task that was running when i closed the apps, no, it downloaded a completely new task and that's my problem

so now my questions are: where is the previous task now? will it come back later and finish its work? is it somewhere on my hard disk? (i thought it writes the calculation data to the hard disk?!?) if yes, will the wcg agent find it automatically and restart it from a special point of time so that it continues its work there? (for example: at 76%) or is the previous project now lost forever? :/

hope you can help me and sorry for my bad english
[Dec 16, 2005 4:45:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: agent started new task instead of continuing the old one (after closing apps manually)

Well... from my small understanding, when you kill its process, you lose that work unit. When it is started up again, it gets a new work unit. If it shuts down normally, it will continue from a checkpoint. But killing the program will make the work unit be terminated. Don't worry, that won't hurt the progress of the project, as there are redundancies of work units. No, that work unit before you killed it wont come back, to my knowledge anyways. If I missed something, fill it in for me. Hope this meager amount of info helps. wink
[Dec 16, 2005 5:24:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: agent started new task instead of continuing the old one (after closing apps manually)

Hi enforcA,
jujaga is correct. Anytime the task is killed by Task Manager, UD.exe treats it as an unidentifiable error and downloads a new copy of the application and a new work unit. It informs the server that something went wrong on the old work unit.

The icon disappeared from your system tray? This is a known bug in Windows that is solved in Start Here: 'Missing World Community Grid Icon in System Tray' http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=5084

Hope this helps with the WCG icon,
mycrofth
[Dec 16, 2005 6:08:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread