Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 498 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Constant disk usage

Does anyone know of a way (if not, it should be an enhancement) to keep the Windows client from touching the hard drive every second or two? I'm sure it's doing something very important (checking information on the file ...\WorldCommunityGrid\tklg.ud, and looking at the directory ud_34334601_0.dir), but it means my poor disk will never spin down if I leave the thing running.
[Dec 17, 2005 5:10:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Constant disk usage

Those with experience here will tell you that it would be harder on your hard disk to keep powering down and spinning up every few seconds.

This was designed as a 100% process. The disk powerdown feature was intended for extended times with no disk accesses. If you did that here, you would lose the benefits of the checkpoint feature.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Dec 17, 2005 7:44:03 PM]
[Dec 17, 2005 7:41:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Certainly I don't want to spin the drive up every few seconds--I was thinking more like every hour. I'd be willing to risk losing some intermediate results to save the power and wear on the drive on those rare occasions when the system crashes.
For that matter, I'd be happy to let the thing checkpoint to a memory stick or something, rather than to a device whose contents I care deeply about.
[Dec 17, 2005 8:15:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello taa,
There is some talk of developing a hard disk with flash memory write cache for laptops, in order to allow it to spin down until the cache is full or a new file has to be read. Great for people typing or for programs like ours. But the only thing that is available right now is a high-capacity plug in flash drive. You can copy the World Community Grid directory to it, then run UD.exe from it. People have done this. It works well as long as you do not unplug it until after shutting down or exitting.

mycrofth
[Dec 17, 2005 9:12:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread