Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 662 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
sad Driving me up the wall

My client keeps losing its mind.. sorta. Il be sitting her using the pc and suddenly everything is slooooooooooooow.... I alt control delete to see whats going on and there is either the docking program or the rosetta program running at 99% a refusing to give up the foreground.

Seems like a non issue with the aids program.

I dont have a problem letting the client do pretty much as it likes when the pc is idle... but it keeps taking over my pc...

Im guessing the easy fix is to turn off the folding project and just keep the aids one... but in fact I left the other grid for this very same reason.. it would be nice to solve this issue rather then run from it.

Robert
[Jan 4, 2006 8:25:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Driving me up the wall

Robert --

I do not think you have pinpointed the problem. Yes, at any given point in time, the Rosetta or the Docking program will indicate that they are taking 98 or 99 % of your CPU cycles. This is what they are designed to do. They run at the performance level of the idle task on your system. That means that they run at a priority below that of any other task you are running. Most of us require very little of the CPU for the work we are doing on our systems, so the World Community Grid projects can easily show high utilization of your CPU.

The behavior you are describing could be experienced in a memory constrained system due to swapping in and out of virtual memory. If this were the case, you would not only experience problems with the Rosetta code (Human Proteome Folding) and the Docking code (FightAIDS@home), but it would be more of an issue with the Docking code with its higher memory requirements.

I suspect that some other task running on your system is causing this and that by the time you look to see what the cause is, it has subsided (it may even be interupted by your hitting Alt-CTRL-Delete). Usual suspects such as spyware and anti-virus software come to mind. If you are not regularly cleaning spyware off your system, that would be the first thing I would address. Programs such as SpyBot Search and Destroy or Microsoft AntiSpyware are available for free to accomplish this.

The World Community Grid has been running the Rosetta program for over a year now on tens of thousands of PC's around the world. If it were causing problems such as you describe, I think a few other people would have raised this issue long before this.
[Jan 4, 2006 10:44:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well Lewis, not everyone speaks up - some just give up. sad I know of several people here at work that have reduced the UD agent to screensaver only or removed it altogether because of it impeding work.

I have noticed this on a few occasions myself and just live with it. (It is amazing how spoiled we get with the speed of computing!) I have not seen it happen while presenting a Powerpoint show but my colleagues have. I usually notice it when I have walked away and come back and it takes a very long time just to show the password modal, let alone get out of screensaver mode. (Sometimes it takes too long and the screensaver kicks back in.) CTRL-ALT-DEL will interrupt things enough for me to get out of the screensaver. Only once or twice have I banished UD to snooze.

It doesn't seem to be related to Symantec AV but maybe Notes since Notes likes to do annoying things (I believe it is cleaning house at the expense of getting anything done for the next hour.) This laptop has 1GB RAM so I think that should not be a problem in spite of Windows XP, Notes and MS Office all being memory pigs.
[Jan 4, 2006 5:25:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If you have been away from your system, it would make sense that the specific memory pages you need when you come back are probably swapped out and the drive powered itself down. You will experience a significant delay in getting those pages back into real memory if you have to wait on the hard drive to spin back up to operational speed. I am sure you have multiple applications running on your laptop. Back when I worked for a living, I would have about 4 or 5 host sessions running on VM, Lotus Notes, and a web browser window or 3 all running at the same time (gee, I wonder what employer might see a mix like that -- lol). In any event, the way applications are written today compared to waaay back when I started, there is little concern about memory impact, so even with 1 gig of real memory, you probably are still experiencing memory swapping.
[Jan 4, 2006 5:43:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have too much experience both on the net and on computers to ever post something I'm not sure of.

Its not impossible that swapping is an issue.... But I spend about 14 hours a day using this PC on the net... and when it suddenly goes into super slow mode... i know how to find what process's are running and just how much CPU they use... And this will suddenly happen late at night when I would guess most people are asleep.

I have temporarily switched my focus to Fight Aids@home as it seems a little bit better behaved... i do however like both projects.

This PC is a p4 2.8 with 512megs of ddr Ram. Could be better IL admit.. but generally it works OK.

Robert
[Jan 4, 2006 10:23:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Alther
Former World Community Grid Tech
United States of America
Project Badges:

Paging is almost certainly the issue. All grid tasks run at the lowest possible priority, so everything else on the system gets first shot at the CPU. Whatever CPU utilization you see the grid app taking up, that would normally be 'System Idle Process' if you weren't running it.

The grid apps allocate quite a bit of virtual memory (~200MB for HPF and ~300MB for Fight AIDS). On a 512MB system, this is going to immediately cause the OS to start paging. This can cause the system to appear sluggish initially starting a new grid task.

The apps don't use all this memory though and after a little bit of time, large chunks of that are permanently paged out by Windows easing the memory load on the system. At this point, the system usually becomes more responsive again.

Also, Fight AIDS puts significantly more load on your RAM than does HPF.

As for sluggishness when waking up from the screensaver, this is normal for Windows (especially XP) regardless if a grid app is running or not. Windows pages a lot out to disk for performance reasons. When you let the system sit overnight, Windows sees that you aren't using anything and starts paging things out to make room for caches, buffers and freeing up some RAM. When you come back after several hours, Windows has to start paging stuff back in as apps start to be used. You'll obviously notice this more with less RAM, but it happens on all machines.
----------------------------------------
Rick Alther
Former World Community Grid Developer
[Jan 6, 2006 2:07:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread