Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 237 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Processor Affinity

I have a dual-processor machine and would like to have the option to have the Grid Agent run only on a single processor at 100% rather than both processors at 50%. This is because I run the agent on a production machine and I want to minimize its impact to performance. I know that the agent already runs at the lowest possible priority on MS Windows, but it would seem the constant context switching from one processor to another must have some impact on overall machine performance. Is there anyone that can weigh in on the subject?

Anyways, it seems simple enough to add a command line switch that sets the agent's processor affinity. I think it would give system administrators another option (comfort level) when deploying the agent to under-utilized production machines which are great platforms for the agent since they typically run 24x7.
[Feb 24, 2006 5:31:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Processor Affinity

I discovered a way to accomplish what I want. I use the Windows start command to start the UD.EXE agent. The start command has an option to set the priority and affinity of the process. Doing this also forces any of the subprocesses spawned by the ud.exe agent to also have the same affinity.

Below is the command I run. The /AFFINITY option is a hex number that represents a bit mask of the CPU's the process is allowed to run against. The bits are from right to left and map to processors 0-n. Thus a mask of 0x2 (binary 10) allows the UD agent to run againt CPU 1 and not CPU 0.

start "UD" /LOW /AFFINITY 0x2 "C:\Program Files\WorldCommunityGrid\UD.EXE"

Please spread the word for those looking for this capability.
[Feb 25, 2006 3:45:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread