Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 750 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Windows Vista Beta 2 - Saturate your Broadband link today

Beta 2 is available to all

Make sure you have a PC with a DX9 Graphics Card 512Mb of Ram a nice balnk hard drive and nothing to lose except hours/days of your life

I've not tried it yet but the multigig download is on it's way

Oh the link

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

Enjoy

disclaimer - I'm not responsible for any loss or damage to your PC. See above "I've not tried it yet"

Dave
----------------------------------------

[Jun 8, 2006 8:51:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Windows Vista Beta 2 - Saturate your Broadband link today

Also, better warn people that the OS will spill over into Virtual Memory and run slowly on a 512 MB machine. The Beta version runs best on 1024 MB or at least anything over 700 MB.
[Jun 9, 2006 12:06:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hmmm, I paid the Redmond Mafia to beta test Win3.1, Win3.11, Win95, Win98, Win98SE, NT, 2000 and XP, all erroneously dubbed "production versions" by Gates and the crooks he employs. All I got for my money and effort was crap software and gray hair. No thanks. Same for the "production version" due in 2007.

Here is a link to a popular version of a quality operating system built by people who care, not by jerks and con men who should be in jail....

http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/

Yes, it's free for the download and it's not beta.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jun 9, 2006 12:55:12 AM]
[Jun 9, 2006 12:43:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

biggrin

Hi Dagorath

Sorry to have raised your ire, my favourite version of the alternative is http://www.ubuntu.com/ to restore the balance to the world even I can get it working.

I figured I'd made clear my opinion on some of Bill's little ideas known to the world here

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/...386&offset=0#lastpost

Just doing my job as a CA to find out how it will run UD and BOINC which as I've said before..

"Is the most useful thing you can do with a PC"

Dave

[Jun 9, 2006 1:41:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

David,

You raise my ire? Not likelybiggrin It's that pauper in Redmond who gets me hot under the collar.

BTW, you do a marvelous job as a CA here. Don't let my venting my disappointment over Bill's refusal to accept my invitation to a bare knuckles match get you down. I'll shut up now biggrin
[Jun 9, 2006 3:32:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

btw after downloading 3.2 Gig it has bombed out and now the service is "Too busy to handle my request" Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill when will you learn

The other requirement being a DVD Burner and associated Software tools to burn an ISO image

I'm close but no cigar

[Jun 9, 2006 4:18:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

I would not be surprised if it already sits on a P2P network ....rarely chance of bombing......but watch out, bills software calls home everyday by own admission biggrin
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jun 9, 2006 5:08:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Dave, you started the download then posted kind words about Ubuntu. The Evil Eye sees all.
[Jun 9, 2006 7:08:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

And the moral of this tale is don't bother

3 3.2Gb downloads later half a dozen wasted DVD-R's A couple of hours spent watching progress bars I've got as far as entering the license key at which point it always says

Setup failed to open the windows image file tongue

Now I know it's a beta but forgive me but I was expecting an OS that crashed every now and again not one that just doesn't install

Download ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/download only 700Mb for a CD ISO (cf 3.2Gb) spend the hours you would have wasted attempting to install Bill's hoax download and you'll learn something new and it won't expire in 2007 and won't cost you a penny/cent/yen

Enjoy

love struck

[Jun 17, 2006 11:08:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I purchased mine from Microsoft on DVD for £10.00 + Vat
It is definately worth the peace of mind to have an original DVD
It installed on one of my PC's with very minor problems
Just required obtaining a few updated drivers

LSI Logic 53C810 Device LSI Logic Inc. Contact the manufacturer to install the new device driver

Patin Couffin engine VSO Software Contact the manufacturer

CanoScan D1250U2/D1250U2F Canon Inc. Contact the manufacturer

CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device C-Media. Get driver from Microsoft Update

biggrin It sure looks cool
[Jun 17, 2006 11:41:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread