Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 40
Posts: 40   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
This topic has been viewed 2550 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Welcome to the Beta Test Forum

We may from time to time ask for certain information like the messages logs from users computers and any other symptoms they observe

It depends on what information you request back from beta testers but you might consider creating a "report page" with a form (HTML FORM). The reports will be easier to read because they'll have a standard format. There will be less chance that details will be omitted because the form will prompt.

The form might include a reference number that relates the report to a specific run, a device identifier, WU name, an edit box where they can cut and paste snippets from logs, another box where they can type comments, etc.

An additional benefit to a form is that it will prevent reports from cluttering this thread. With over 200 testers already, I can see the message count in this thread increasing by huge leaps and bounds. Important anouncements will be more noticeable and conversations will be less fragmented if reports are submitted elsewhere. This is not to clear the way for general conversation, I would hope ALL comments are limited STRICTLY to beta test objectives.
[Jul 29, 2006 4:31:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Please continue to provide suggestions as how to how we can make sure that the beta is effective.

Having run into this on HPF2 already, I'd suggest that beta WU errors not be counted against our daily WU quotas, or beta testers will have a tendency to get their work supply cut off.

For that matter, since so many of our WUs will end up being errors through no fault of our own, I agree with Sekerob's earlier suggestion. I think all beta WUs returned should be granted full credit whether there's an error or not, so that our scores (and our teams) don't suffer for our beta participation. beat up

Also, testers will probably be more willing to let misbehaving WUs keep running if there's no penalty for lost time if they end up failing.
[Jul 29, 2006 5:17:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

dagorath, that is without a doubt one of the best ideas i've heard in a long time. wink smile and one that i hope they will utilize. applause
[Jul 29, 2006 8:20:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
teletran
Senior Cruncher

I'm running one of the remaining hpf2 units now and it seems to be stuck for the last half hour at a certain percentage. Also, the completion time is increasing, instead of going down. Can I expect this unit to complete? How long do I let it run before giving up? Thanks.

p.s. I see that two people have sent the unit in with errors already and there are a few pending.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by teletran at Jul 29, 2006 12:41:24 PM]
[Jul 29, 2006 12:39:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

My advice (still) is leave it a day. Work units sometimes take several days in unusual circumstances, but a whole 24 hours with no progress at all is enough to demonstrate (without doubt) that there is a problem.
[Jul 29, 2006 1:09:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
teletran
Senior Cruncher

didactylos,

Thanks for the reply. It actually just completed so all is well :)
[Jul 29, 2006 2:38:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You might also want to split this thread into 3 parts: Announcements [read-only], Problem Reports, and general Support. As Dagorath said, this thread as is will quickly get very long, and it'll be way too easy to miss something important.
[Jul 29, 2006 8:22:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Splitting this thread into 3 parts is a reasonable alternative to using a "report page". I could easily live with that but I'm hoping for a "report page" for reasons given in my previous post. In any event there should be a read-only thread just for announcements.

I've put togther 2 simple report pages that WCG is welcome to grab and use any way they like if it saves time rolling their own. Both forms do much the same thing, they differ mainly in appearance and the encoding of the name/value pairs in the reports. No, my feelings won't be hurt if they don't get used, they may not even be suitable for the kinds of reports WCG needs.

If they are suitable but need a few modifications I am willing to do that. I could also write some Javascript to verify the user's input to make sure all required fields are filled in.

The password on form1 may deter "evil-doers" from submitting hundreds of bogus reports for whatever twisted reasons they do such things. If the form were accessable only to users who have logged in then a password on the form is not required.

The form is submitted using a simple action=mailto:. Reports using action=mailto: are difficult to read when the enctype=default but my sample forms use enctype=text/plain so the reports are much easier to read. I prefer form2 because the fields in the reports it submits are arranged in a more sensible order compared to reports from form1.

The 2 sample forms are viewable at form1 and form2.

Beta testers should not use these 2 forms at this time.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 30, 2006 6:51:04 AM]
[Jul 30, 2006 6:49:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Could be captured to a database if useful? as well as posted
Coldfusion makes form validation relatively easy by changing the input tags to cfinput adding the word required and bob's your uncle - sorry Dagorathblushing

[Jul 30, 2006 7:47:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Splitting this thread into 3 parts is a reasonable alternative to using a "report page". I could easily live with that but I'm hoping for a "report page" for reasons given in my previous post. In any event there should be a read-only thread just for announcements.

Great work, dagorath:)
The password on form1 may deter "evil-doers" from submitting hundreds of bogus reports for whatever twisted reasons they do such things. If the form were accessable only to users who have logged in then a password on the form is not required.

Password needn't to be submitted if report is sent from "my grid" page, isn't it?

It's better if each tester can check whether the same kind of error has been reported like Windows do, which requires servers to analyse the error. But this kind of measure should be taken when soooo many people participate to beta test.

And in making reporting sheet, many platform should be considered. There can be someone who uses linux on Command User Interface.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 30, 2006 11:04:34 AM]
[Jul 30, 2006 10:44:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 40   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread