Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1039 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
not getting work "World Community Grid|Message from server: platform 'hppa-unknown-linux-gnu' not found"

Help needed. crying
I have installed and compiled a shiny linux GNU/Debian on an HPPA.
Now, I have attched to the World Community Grid without any problem but it will not dispatch work for me because my system is “unknown”

Suggestions will be much appreciated confused
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
10/29/2006 22:37:14|World Community Grid|Sending scheduler request to https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/boinc/wcg_cgi/fcgi
10/29/2006 22:37:14|World Community Grid|Reason: Requested by user
10/29/2006 22:37:14|World Community Grid|Requesting 8640 seconds of new work
10/29/2006 22:37:19|World Community Grid|Scheduler request succeeded
10/29/2006 22:37:19|World Community Grid|Message from server: platform 'hppa-unknown-linux-gnu' not found

BR,
dbmms
my team
[Oct 29, 2006 8:24:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: not getting work "World Community Grid|Message from server: platform 'hppa-unknown-linux-gnu' not found"

Sorry, only x86 Linux, Windows and PPC/Intel Mac are supported. You must use one of the official BOINC releases.
[Oct 29, 2006 8:34:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: not getting work "World Community Grid|Message from server: platform 'hppa-unknown-linux-gnu' not found"

mmm, but boinc its boinc its boinc....

It was not easy to install it…
And now I have to spoof my client… devilish
[Oct 29, 2006 8:40:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

But a computer is not a computer is not a computer....

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the HPPA is a RISC architecture. You may be able to run BOINC on it, but the science applications? I will be surprised.

edit: Doing some further research, I can conclusively say that you won't get it to run. Best not to waste any more of your time. Sorry.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Oct 29, 2006 8:54:47 PM]
[Oct 29, 2006 8:49:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi dbmms,
The problem is that, though you can compile BOINC to run on your system, it then tells the server what your system is and asks for a project compiled to run on that system. But the server has no such project and work units available.

You can look over the projects at http://distributedcomputing.info/projects.html to see if there are any that can run on your system.

Lawrence
[Oct 30, 2006 4:05:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

dbmms,

I think project SIMAP supports a few of the less common platforms/architectures but don't quote me me on that. What you CAN quote me on is that you'll get a LOT more work done there (quorum of 2 there, not 3 like this dinosaur), Linux will get treated with respect and get points on par with Windoze and their apps are highly optimised. In short, the admins and programmers there know what they're doing and have their priorities straight.
[Oct 30, 2006 4:16:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

dbmms,

Unfortunately, project SIMAP went into 'periodic' project' mode....they raced thru their work and finish 1 year earlier than expected. They advised, that the occasional batch will be run to update their library. Interesting here is some discussion on the Rosetta forum, where various project leaders are discussing the help that SIMAP library can form for other projects like Rosetta and HPF:

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=1700

As for quorum, WCG has obligations to produce quorum 3, but has advised in posts, that some upcoming projects will allow lower quorum, where the results are of 'less' criticality to be verified twice or different techniques to ensure that the WU's are 100% valid.

Anyway, that's OFF TOPIC here.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Sekerob at Oct 30, 2006 5:56:46 PM]
[Oct 30, 2006 7:22:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

dbmms,

Unfortunately, project SIMAP went in 'project' mode....they raced thru their work and finish 1 year earlier than expected.

Too bad WCG isn't interested in getting their work done at anything faster than a snail's pace.

They advised, that the occasional batch will be run to update their library. Interesting here is some discussion on the Rosetta forum, where various project leaders are discussing the help that SIMAP library can form for other projects like Rosetta and HPF:

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=1700

SIMAP will have work coming up soon, within the next few days.

As for quorum, WCG has obligations to produce quorum 3, but has advised in posts, that some upcoming projects will allow lower quorum, where the results are of 'less' criticality to be verified twice or different techniques to ensure that the WU's are 100% valid.

Anyway, that's OFF TOPIC here.

Nope, it's right on topic. WCG's obligations for a 3 quorum are more likely a result of an irresponsible collusion between WCG and the scientists. WCG likely blackmailed the scientists into saying the 3 quorum is a necessity because WCG needs to create the illusion cheating cannot happen at WCG. It's like.... "You scientists must tell the crunchers the 3 quorum is required or we won't host your project". Then, to the CAs, "You tell the crunchers the 3 quorum is necessary or you don't get to be CAs".
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 4, 2006 3:50:50 PM]
[Oct 30, 2006 8:37:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

CAs are not coerced in any way.

Let me explain the fallacy in Dagorath's argument: before BOINC, WCG ran only using UD. UD does not use the quorum in the points calculation, but each work unit was still repeated in order to provide scientific reliability, in the form of a very, very low statistical error.

Further, WCG have, from time to time, published summaries of the error rate, and demonstrated to my satisfaction that for some projects the error rate is high enough that the quorum of three is not only desirable but required.

This may not be the case for all projects. WCG have also made good-faith attempts to reduce duplication of work to the absolute minimum required for the science while still allowing the grid to run smoothly. Thus, I am confident that should any better solution be found, or any project requires a less rigorous statistical error, then WCG will adopt a suitable policy for that project.
[Oct 30, 2006 8:54:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

it is WCG lost!
this box is going back to search for ET!!!

dbmms
[Oct 30, 2006 10:22:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread