Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 35
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 26485 times and has 34 replies Next Thread
spRocket
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Is the WCG Community giving up on Open Pandemics?

I've scaled back a bit; I re-mothballed two old desktops that were running WCG due to the electric bill. I've also just retired two old ThinkPads (Core i7 L 640) in favor of Raspberry Pi 400s, which can crunch more work units with one-sixth of the ThinkPads' power consumption. Yes, a Pi 400 can crunch more with seven watts than the laptop can with 42 W.

That's actually a bonus for OPN, since it's the only WCG project I've seen that will run on a Pi. I do have it set up so that if any other WCG units show up in 64-bit ARM form, it will at least try to run them. Looking over my Whetstone/Dhrystone benchmarks, the Pi 400 has the best MIPS per watt of anything I own. I saw 2524 FP and 69987 FP MIPS per core, so a combined 10096 FP and 275948 integer MIPS out of seven watts measured at the wall socket. I could probably knock a watt or so off of that by using wired networking and shutting off the wireless.

You can shoehorn four OPN threads onto a Pi 3 or 3B if you replace swap with zram. I have a 3 and a 3+ running that way as well, with the 3 also hosting two software-defined radio receivers.

The 400, especially, is a nice low-power cruncher, due to its built-in heat sink.
[Jan 21, 2021 6:18:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

spRocket

Your observations of the power consumption of a Raspberry reminds me that over 30 years ago I saw a demonstration by Acorn Computers - ARM was originally part of Acorn called Acorn Risc Machines - before Acorn folded as a computer manufacture to concentrate on chip design & licensing. That demonstration was of an Acorn computer running off the static electricity generated by a PC (IBM before the PCs became Lenovo)

History is good if you can still remember it!

Mike.
[Jan 21, 2021 9:51:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
spRocket
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

ARM was originally part of Acorn called Acorn Risc Machines - before Acorn folded as a computer manufacture to concentrate on chip design & licensing. That demonstration was of an Acorn computer running off the static electricity generated by a PC

Oh, yes, indeed. And lost in the Apple M1 hype, it should be noted that Apple was a very early contributor to the development of ARM, using it in the ill-fated Newton PDA.

I always thought it was a crying shame that so little of the British computer scene of the 1980s and early 90s made it across the pond. I'd have loved to have had an Archimedes back when it was current. Of course, by that time, IBM PC clones were starting to thoroughly take over, and different video standards in an era when all TV sets were analog didn't help. HDMI goes a long way towards fixing that little problem.

In any case, I'd say that the Pi 400 knocks it out of the park - it manages to pick up on both the Sinclair legacy in form factor and price, and the Acorn legacy in lineage and performance, and you still get the 40-pin connector that makes it a Raspberry Pi. It isn't perfect, but it's mighty good.
[Jan 22, 2021 7:30:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bryn Mawr
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

ARM was originally part of Acorn called Acorn Risc Machines - before Acorn folded as a computer manufacture to concentrate on chip design & licensing. That demonstration was of an Acorn computer running off the static electricity generated by a PC

Oh, yes, indeed. And lost in the Apple M1 hype, it should be noted that Apple was a very early contributor to the development of ARM, using it in the ill-fated Newton PDA.

I always thought it was a crying shame that so little of the British computer scene of the 1980s and early 90s made it across the pond. I'd have loved to have had an Archimedes back when it was current. Of course, by that time, IBM PC clones were starting to thoroughly take over, and different video standards in an era when all TV sets were analog didn't help. HDMI goes a long way towards fixing that little problem.

In any case, I'd say that the Pi 400 knocks it out of the park - it manages to pick up on both the Sinclair legacy in form factor and price, and the Acorn legacy in lineage and performance, and you still get the 40-pin connector that makes it a Raspberry Pi. It isn't perfect, but it's mighty good.

I ran an Archimedes from the late 80s until the mid noughties and loved it, not least for the elegance if the assembler.
[Jan 22, 2021 7:46:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ChristianVirtual
Advanced Cruncher
Japan
Project Badges:

Running 10 Pi 4 with various memory combinations from a netboot without SD Card. They doing a great job with only 40 watts or so. The downside: I need to run a regular room heater now in winter.
----------------------------------------
Active with WCG, GPUGrid, F@H
[Jan 23, 2021 12:57:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike.Gibson
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Still reminiscing, the Acorns had WIMP (Windows Index Mouse Pointer) years before IBM claimed that they invented Windows.
Mike
[Jan 23, 2021 3:08:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bryn Mawr
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Still reminiscing, the Acorns had WIMP (Windows Index Mouse Pointer) years before IBM claimed that they invented Windows.
Mike

Actually invented by Xerox at their Palo Alto Research Centre then taken up by Apple for the Lisa and then the Macintosh.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bryn Mawr at Jan 23, 2021 8:46:17 AM]
[Jan 23, 2021 6:01:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
caitilarkin
Former World Community Grid Admin
USA
Project Badges:

Hi everybody,

We've created a new thread about Raspberry Pi on OpenPandemics from an old one about the project's stats.

Please feel free to continue the hardware discussion here. And as always, thanks for your support of this project!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by caitilarkin at Jan 29, 2021 6:40:33 PM]
[Jan 29, 2021 6:35:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mowat
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Replying to BobbyB .. his post didn't make it to the thread…

Since this thread is de-railed. I'm following the pi vs the world.. I am not sure on the conversion but this is what I see with 4 pi4b's with kubernetes running 12 nodes of boinc.

Avg. Run Time Per Calendar Day (y:d:h:m:s) 0:009:20:22:17
Avg. Run Time Per Result (y:d:h:m:s) 0:000:09:12:51
Avg. Points Per Hour of Run Time 61.98
Avg. Points Per Calendar Day 14,649.40
Avg. Points Per Result 571.07
Avg. Results Per Calendar Day 25.65

This is the average from my entire contribution so it's all 4 devices. I'm not sure how to split them but it's from 4 pi's. Using the Kubernetes it's running 3 workers on each which keep the CPU pegged 100%. That should be taken into account as well.
[Jan 30, 2021 1:13:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TonyEllis
Senior Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

My 1x 3A+ and 2x 3B+ are in the 19 to 20 hour mark. Remarkably the 3A+ is slightly the fastest even though it has half the memory. All are running the same OS and BOINC versions, each from its SSD drive.

However, all are conservatively limited by :-
hardware - CPU freq 12 MHz; CPU temp 61 C
software - user program CPU temp to 59.1 C; other user programs such as Pi-hole
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TonyEllis at Jan 30, 2021 5:02:27 AM]
[Jan 30, 2021 4:57:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread