Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 29
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 619 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Any Mac users in here

If still interested, here some theorizing on setting up 1 computer in a LAN to do the communicating with the BOINC servers: Proxy Servers And Why BOINC Doesn't Have Them
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jan 13, 2007 5:25:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

What does inconclusive mean on a returned project? Looked at my stats and seen this. Did not get any points for it. I was ahead of time returning the job.
tnks
Randy
Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Jan 13, 2007 8:05:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Bearcat,

Lots of information is available already on the forum and the help sections... here an explanation of the various statuses that can occur on a BOINC work unit: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=6105#48791

cheers

Edit: A WCGwiki page on same: http://www.wcgwiki.org/en/boinc/validation.cfm
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Jan 13, 2007 10:29:54 PM]
[Jan 13, 2007 8:12:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

My DSL goes into my linksys wireless router. I still get about 1 intrusion a month though.

Successful intrusions? Or intrusion attempts. Are you sure? How can you tell? Do they make it past your Mac's FW too?

Just attempts. They made it past my router but my software caught them. I ran mcafee firewall on my pc laptop and intego on my powerbook. Haven't installed anything on my iMac. Just using OS X firewall on it.
Randy

[Jan 14, 2007 1:27:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
zombie67 [MM]
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Hmmmm. To get past a NAT router, packets have to be invited in, by one of your machines. I would have a look at that windows machine.

[Jan 15, 2007 1:57:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I looked at my logs on my iMac and saw 6 attempts this past week. Beats me how they are passing by my router. At least OS X stopped them. Have to check the settings on the router.
Randy

[Jan 15, 2007 3:10:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Been reading alot of posts on the board to get a better perspective on wcg. Intersting stuff. Is there any posts on the board that gives information on what to expect a particular processor (a list by processor) can do? Maybe a chart or something that breaks it down. My 2.16 ghz iMac crunches good (i guess) but when i'm ready to add on another mac, I don't want to drop to low in processor speed. I guess a best performace for the buck is what I am looking for. Kind of looking at a used mac mini 1.83 ghz duo core to add but don't want to drop to far in performance from my iMac now. It would be nice to get a mac pro (4 cores) but 2 mac minis (4 cores) would be cheaper but since the pro uses a better processor, my guess is the pro would smoke the minis. Your comments greatly appriciated.
Randy

[Jan 18, 2007 1:14:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Bearcat
In BOINC stats there is a page which gives a processor breakdown.

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/host_cpu_stats.php?pr=bo&st=0

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sgt.Joe

Minnesota Crunchers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jan 19, 2007 2:41:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thanks for the info. Good chart. Have to do some figuring to break it down to one processor. Would be nice if one particular job (same one) would be sent to each diffrent processor to get a better picture. Probably to many variables such as memory and bus speed would hinder a true result but probably get close. Thanks again.
Randy

[Jan 19, 2007 12:47:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread