Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7487 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Wilgard
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Why there is unlike points between BOINC and WCG ?

As you can see in my signature, I work only on WCG with the BOINC client. But the thing which question me, is about credit/points. I 've got 72000 points on BOINC client and 555000 on WCG site.

If I worked on sereval projects I could interstand. But, in this case, I dont understand. It seems to have a reduction factor about 7 or 7.5 (555000 / 7.5 = 74000).

Does someone can explain to me this difference between the project points given by BOINC and those given by WCG ?

It is also for some characteristics that you can see on website BOINCSTATS.

Thanks a lot.
----------------------------------------

[Apr 18, 2007 11:11:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Why there is unlike points between BOINC and WCG ?

Hi Wilgard,
WCG began with the same UD client used by grid.org in 2004. You can find an explanation of the UD scoring algorithm in Start Here. When we added the BOINC client in 2005, we needed a way to compare the BOINC points with the UD points, even though they were fundamentally different. We compared the scores given for the same work units (in HPF1) and decided that we would multiply the BOINC points by 7 before adding them to a member's WCG score, which might contain points from both UD and BOINC. Because the UD scoring algorithm has a maximum limit built in (matching the CPU speeds of 2002-2003), modern processors score much higher using BOINC, which has no maximum limit.

Lawrence
[Apr 18, 2007 11:25:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Wilgard
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

OK I understand better now. Thanks Lawrence wink

[Apr 20, 2007 11:00:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Wilgard,

If you go to the My Grid > Device Manager > Device Statistics you can see all the devices that ever generated a score. 72k BOINC points does absolutely translate to 504k WCG point, suggesting your earlier crunching was with the WCG agent filling the gap of 50k.

cheers
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Apr 20, 2007 11:29:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread