Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 355 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
gio777
Advanced Cruncher
Georgia
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Boinc version for XPx64

hello all, I whant to install boinc x64 version in xp64 proff edition. will it increase crunching time as it will be 64 bit boinc version or not?

P.S cpu: quadcore.
----------------------------------------

[Dec 14, 2007 2:30:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Boinc version for XPx64

Hello gio777,
I don't see any reason why BOINC 5.10.28 for 64-bit would not work. Try it if you like. Since the applications are all 32-bit, I do not think that it would make any real speed difference.

Lawrence
[Dec 14, 2007 2:39:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

The reduced crunching time gain is relatively small using the BOINC 64 bit client. But, the way the benchmark system works, in fact at time of awarding credit (points), it is often responsible for adverse affect. Too hi claims are causing for the credits not to be computed from average but from the low claim in a quorum.

Generally, a large component of the Benchmark measurement is the integer test, whereas the WCG work is floating point intensive. The 64bit Client is sadly amplifying the differential.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Dec 14, 2007 2:40:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gio777
Advanced Cruncher
Georgia
Project Badges:

as I see if there is no difference in boinc x64 and x32 versions I stay with my current 32 bit version.

[Dec 14, 2007 2:46:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gio777
Advanced Cruncher
Georgia
Project Badges:

Just forgot to ask it in first post.

So none of the WCG projects use 64 bit work units? all of them are using 32 bit workunits? am I right?

[Dec 14, 2007 3:11:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Correct, only 32 science. If it gets ported, from what I've seen on one other project, potential of 3x faster.... but it could be because they run integer intense numbers.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Dec 14, 2007 3:19:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread