Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 322 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Donna Turcot
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Optimum BOINC Preference settings?

Are there optimum preference settings for speed when running SETI and World Community Grid projects? I'm on a Mac G5, 137 GB available on HD; static DSL.
[Jan 9, 2008 5:27:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Optimum BOINC Preference settings?

Well, 100% will get you optimum speed. If there are no other considerations, go for that.

The WCG default of 60% is designed to be safe, green and cautious.
[Jan 9, 2008 7:04:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Donna Turcot
Cruncher

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure what your answer means. I can set it for 100% but does that or something above 60% interfere with my usage? Optimum, for me, means running them at max w/o compromising my use.
[Jan 10, 2008 5:53:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

CPU won't interfere with your computer use. BOINC runs at the very lowest priority, so it simply isn't an issue.

Memory, though, can be a problem. Memory is the usage bottleneck. Whether this is a problem depends on three things: how much memory you have, how much BOINC needs, and how much is used by other programs.

Normal computer users like yourself with a decent amount of memory should be absolutely fine with the default of 90% idle, 50% in use.
[Jan 10, 2008 6:00:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Am running a 4 core Intel at 100% on Vista without noticing, but if a Mac G5 is inferior to that, put it on Didactylos' 'safe, green and cautious' setting of 60%. That's why WCG created 4 preset profiles one of them being 'Minimum Impact' and another 'Power Saving' for the different comfort zones.

Seriously, there is no 'optimum' but to experiment and see if 'You' experience any impairment running at 100% or less while using the computer. By design BOINC backs off and only uses 'spare' cycles. You continue to be numero uno as user.

Now the secret: 60% means 3 seconds at 100% and 2 seconds pause. If you have not noticed that, you are very likely not going to notice it running 100% all the time.

cheers
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jan 10, 2008 6:06:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Donna Turcot
Cruncher

Thank you both......Sekerob and Didactylos. I have 2 GB of memory and 137 GB of disk space available. I'm using very little.

I've set it to use 100% CPU time and have given it 10 GB of disk space; Download/upload speed is set to 380.00 KBytes/sec; memory usage 90% both in use & idle.

I'll see if I notice anything.

Mac inferior to a PC? LOL. Haven't you been watching the commercials? :-)
[Jan 10, 2008 6:51:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread