Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 427 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
are some report deadlines too long?

today is feb. 27 and i'm showing some deadlines of march 16.

is the 'average' computer really so slow?
[Feb 28, 2008 7:38:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: are some report deadlines too long?

No. See HPF2 Support forum announcement on the extension.

Don't know how slow, but its done to reduce the loads on the servers and (unsaid), accommodate those that came from UD agent who had 60 days to complete a task, so yes they are around.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Feb 28, 2008 7:42:32 AM]
[Feb 28, 2008 7:40:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

thanks for reply.

what would happen to the servers, and to the project speeds, if only 1 work unit was sent out at a time and returned immediately on completion?
[Feb 28, 2008 9:47:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Prediction. If everyone did this, nothing much will change. The average is > 90% being validated after 4 days, 25% in first day, a near constant. The techs have put logic in place though that has resulted in batches of work to be completed in 16 days i.e. being ready to pass to the scientists where before it was like a month.... a huge storage reduction and an even bigger reduction on open items in the schedulers.... larger jobs means less jobs to send out and do bookkeeping for.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Feb 28, 2008 9:56:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I hazard a guess that there are many different processing paradigms that make up the WCG community. Some are home models which start and close down on a daily basis. There are enthusiasts who may or may not shut down their computers at night. And there are small to large commercial systems with operators with conscience, but whose idle time is quite variable and which may target time to this project.

In the end, I suspect that there is no one model that satisfies the needs of WCG. The number of files delivered to each user depends on many variables. Like God, I trust the teckies at WCG to know what they are doing. ;)

Perhaps in this respect, WCG is rocket (or at least, statistics) science.

Mark
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 1, 2008 5:05:07 AM]
[Mar 1, 2008 5:03:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread