Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 605 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Mark100
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
BOINC-Client - how to get FAaH to start ?

Hey all,

since i have to use the BOINC -client, things are not that easy anymore. My fan is running slow and fast in a fast change, and this is a nervekilling sound so i often just switch off BOINC and pause computing.

Second is, how can i get FAaH to run in this BOINC-Client ? Actually it runs the Cancer-Project.
[Apr 2, 2008 4:49:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mark100
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: BOINC-Client - how to get FAaH to start ?

Another problem is, that the client always runs 2 projects at the same time, actually 2 times Cancer is running. I deleted one but the client gets it again
[Apr 2, 2008 5:07:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Choose your projects here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/viewMyProjects.do

To solve your other problems, I recommend going here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/device/v...iguration.do?name=Default

Choose "Custom", then set "On multiprocessors, at most use: X processors" to 1, and set "Use no more than: X% of processor time" to 100.
[Apr 2, 2008 5:12:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mark100
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks for the quick answer and the informations. I actually set custom as you said.
my settings depending the projects already are at FAaH and Cancer..can it be that there is no work for FAaH actually ?
[Apr 2, 2008 6:14:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Actually, FA@H & DDD-T according a BETA announcement are being reduced to make space for a new version, thus momentary chances to get them during this phase are reduced:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=19402

Note there are 2 places, one superseding the other depending on what was last changed:

1. My Grid > My Projects: When making changes here, it changes all device profiles.
2. My Grid > Device Manager > Device Profiles: If changed later will only apply to that profile.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Apr 2, 2008 7:03:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pacerintl
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

You have a PC with dual processors, it can do two things at one time, Boinc was set up to take advantage of this, the UD client couldn't do this.
If you bring up the task manager it will show your processor running at 100% which isn't really true....both processors are running at 50% giving an inaccurate reading of 100%.
Get a Quad machine to really make yourself crazy.
[Apr 3, 2008 12:34:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello pacerintl,
I think you are confusing him. He may have a laptop, in which case his problem is with cooling and he should not run more than 1 thread. Also, his fan problem indicates that he does not use speed control utilities such as Threadmaster ( http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=16084 and http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=2490 ).

Lawrence
[Apr 3, 2008 1:11:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mark100
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Get a Quad machine to really make yourself crazy.

biggrin
Well its an interesting idea anyways..at ebay they are not that expensive. But first i have to solve the problem with the fan.
The Threadmaster -explanation unfortunately is very complicated, and my english is more the simple type blushing
Would it be enough to just download and install the Threadmaster and then let him do his work ?
Because the long explanation at the Threadmaster-link lawrence gave me seems to mean a option not urgently needed if i got that right.
[Apr 3, 2008 8:23:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Mark100,
If you go to My Grid - Device Manager - (selected profile) you can tell BOINC to run 1 thread only and you can tell it to run only 50%. This will run for 1 second then pause for 1 second. This might keep it cool enough to keep your fan from going at high speed. If not, then you will have to look at special utility programs or just ignore the fan.

Lawrence
[Apr 3, 2008 12:08:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GIBA
Ace Cruncher

Hi Mark. another tip to increase your WU's queue to contribute just for the projects that you selected.

Goes to your BOINC Client and in the menu select "Advanced".
After it select "Preferences" and goes to tab "Network Usage".
Now goes to "Additional Work Buffer" field, and write the number of days of work that you would like to have to crunch in affordable mode
( if you choose more than 2 days, you will get more WU's programmed to be returned according specific WCG deadlines that allow you process all in time).

The bether side of it is that you will preceive more WU's from the projects that you selected in MY Projects page view of WCG (since this project be availables).

Finally I suggest you don't spend time with worries about your fan. Your machine have capability to run two work units at sametime, and you will increase your collaboration for projects that you selected if you will use both ones (and you could run distinct projects in each processor... think about it).

I wish great crunchs for you. Best Regards. Giba. coffee
----------------------------------------
Cheers ! GIB@ peace coffee
Join BRASIL - BRAZIL@GRID team and be very happy !
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=DF99KT5DN1

[Apr 6, 2008 12:49:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread