Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 475
Posts: 475   Pages: 48   [ Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 68642 times and has 474 replies Next Thread
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Badges... Who's got badges

whaaahhhh! I want my rice badge! ...but at the rate my craptop crunches, I'm still only about 45% there! (its taking an average of 12-14 wall-clock hours to crunch each "8 hour" job) crying

There's always the possibility to set the profile to crunch at 100% instead of the default 60%. Rice is perfect for machines with little ram and CPU horsepower, plus the slower the machine the smaller the result file (less seeds completed in 8 hours).
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[May 30, 2008 4:26:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ultimaThule
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Jojjoo.

Edit: Jojjoo = Yesyesyesyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ALElMLpRA

Accumulated Points: 6,641,223

[Edit 1 times, last edit by ultimaThule at May 30, 2008 4:44:02 PM]
[May 30, 2008 4:39:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I got my badge sometime in the last three days. Wahoo! I didn't have my profile set to exclusively handle NRW jobs, but apparently that is all I've received in the past few weeks.

I just hope the rice seed they are looking to make is perennial seed (if possible) so it is a plant that keeps on giving.
[May 30, 2008 7:23:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I've got too.
[May 30, 2008 9:37:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

whaaahhhh! I want my rice badge! ...but at the rate my craptop crunches, I'm still only about 45% there! (its taking an average of 12-14 wall-clock hours to crunch each "8 hour" job) crying

There's always the possibility to set the profile to crunch at 100% instead of the default 60%. Rice is perfect for machines with little ram and CPU horsepower, plus the slower the machine the smaller the result file (less seeds completed in 8 hours).

Unfortunately, I already discovered that setting it to 100% causes my system (its an old Thinkpad laptop) to run the fan constantly, which led to the premature demise of said fan.... guys three cubicles away from me at the office could hear it crying out in pain (oops!) Our PC Services department will only buy the "Gee, I have no idea how this happened! batting eyelashes " story so many times before they start getting suspicious! hee hee

So sadly, I am pretty much doomed to just cry over not having my badge yet while running it at the 60% defaults... but thanks Sekerob for pointing out that possibility (maybe someone else reading this can learn and gain from my childish whining biggrin )
[May 31, 2008 6:48:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Unfortunately, I already discovered that setting it to 100% causes my system (its an old Thinkpad laptop) to run the fan constantly, which led to the premature demise of said fan.... guys three cubicles away from me at the office could hear it crying out in pain (oops!) Our PC Services department will only buy the "Gee, I have no idea how this happened! batting eyelashes " story so many times before they start getting suspicious! hee hee

So sadly, I am pretty much doomed to just cry over not having my badge yet while running it at the 60% defaults... but thanks Sekerob for pointing out that possibility (maybe someone else reading this can learn and gain from my childish whining biggrin )

Dont know what you use your laptop for in day to day work, but if mainly word processing other low demand work, set BOINC to 100% and use intel Speedstep or whatever the IBM T41 has to control CPU speed and lower it. This way you get your 8 hours in 8 hours and a bit, get the job done and keep it cool. And when you have a heavier chore flip the switch temporarily. And now the devilish part, start asking for a faster computer because it is so slow doing powerpoint. whistling
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[May 31, 2008 7:20:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
darth_vader
Veteran Cruncher
A galaxy far, far away...
Project Badges:

It it too late to join the "I've got my rice badge party"? biggrin

Comment about thinkpads ... most my WUs over the last couple of years have been crunched on a T42 (2 GHz). No problems with it overheating when set at 100%, but the fan does run continuously at a fairly low level and I don't crunch when running on battery power. It's important to make sure there is sufficient air space around the fan intake / exhaust. Also, make sure that you are not getting any dust accumulation - I vacuum the thinkpad every couple of months - as a 100% busy thinkpad will gather more dust than an idle one. I've had more problems with power supplies, aka transformer bricks, going out due to overheating. Keeping the transformer on a surface that conducts heat well, such as a metal window sill, helps a lot.

-D
[May 31, 2008 6:11:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If u join wcg with a mobile cpu like me, u can use rightmark cpu clock utulity (RM Clock). With this utility u can undervolt your cpu. Thus, your cpu generates less heat. For example, my cpu is T7300 and it's standart voltage is 1,25V but i discovered this voltage too high for working at default speed (2 GHz) and undervolt its maximum voltage slowly and then it could working at 1V maximum and 0.85V minimum with Speed-Step technology. While my cpu working in wcg core tempratures is about 70-75 degree centigrade but when i closed the RM Clock cpu temperature rise to 85-90 degree centigrade and fan starting to whistle disturbingly.

With this way Your total system power consumption decreases too.

U can try RM Clock: http://cpu.rightmark.org/download/rmclock_235_bin.rar
[May 31, 2008 7:28:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

today!!!!!

[Jun 2, 2008 3:26:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Markus123
Cruncher
Project Badges:
biggrin Re: Badges... Who's got badges

got mine today. biggrin biggrin biggrin
[Jun 3, 2008 2:33:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 475   Pages: 48   [ Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread