Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 791 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Computer hangs on WCG projects

My computer fails to recover from the screen saver after it starts a WCG project, so I have to reboot the system to use the machine. Anyone know how to fix this?
[Mar 25, 2009 12:32:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Re: Computer hangs on WCG projects

Hi wcg9481,

Another user had an issue that sounds similar to the one you're currently facing.

I'm not sure why you can't recover from the screen saver, although you don't have to actually run that screensaver to 'crunch' for WCG biggrin

Recent Screen Saver issue thread
----------------------------------------

[Mar 25, 2009 1:35:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello wcg9481,
As you can guess, your experience with the screen saver is not normal. Therefore, you had better give us a complete description of your system, the start of your BOINC Messages so we can see what you are running, and tell us what preferences you have set and which project graphics cause the problem.

Alternatively, pick a different screen saver. I use 'blank' on my computer.

Lawrence
[Mar 25, 2009 3:22:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
boulmontjj
Senior Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

Yesterday, a member from team France installed 6.4.7 Boinc version downloaded from Berkeley site and its PC just rebooted and rebooted, ... until he could get read of Boinc from start up.
He reverted back to 6.4.2 version downloaded from WCG and now, it is ok.

That's why we recommend on France site to download Boinc from WCG site where we are quite sure it is a stable version and it has been tested and validated by WCG.

Rejoignez nous et visitez le site de l'équipe France ici http://www.grid-france.fr
[Mar 25, 2009 9:44:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

[loose notes]

Several members at my team report BOINC on quads dropping to 1 single core use and the rest of the sciences falling asleep. Check the TaskManager if other apps are eating the CPU time. WCG science run at very lowest priority and thus will make way for anything else.

Also, certain versions of BOINC Manager of 6.4 and 6.6 alpha/beta might eat 100% of CPU time, when you think to have exited the manager. Again I caught this morning a BM eating a whole core and causing system sluggishness.

The screensaver has to start AFTER the science is running. Thus if doing only idle crunching set the screensaver to 1 minute after computation is allowed to resume. Thus for instance:

Idle resume 5 minutes
Screensaver 6 minutes

Also in certain set ups, the screensaver password protection is still causing issues, so switching of screensaver password might offer a solution (and compromise security)

boulmontjj, the WCG endorsed windows version is still 6.2.28 (6.4.2 is an alpha ;-)

[/loose notes]
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Mar 25, 2009 10:13:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
boulmontjj
Senior Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

You're right Sekerob, he installed 6.2.28.
He thought in a first time it was 6.4.2 but he came back on our forum to say it was 6.2.28.
And the problem is that yesterday, his PC stopped to reboot and reboot and reboot again and again after the reverted back to 6.2.28.
But today, his PC continue to reboot again.
He tried to stop Boinc and looked at the activity of the PC.
Two tasks, rosetta et hadsm3mh_um6.02, continue to run as normally without Boinc.
They were not stopped by Boinc.
Any idea ?

I will ask him the configuration of his PC.

Rejoignez nous et visitez le site de l'équipe France ici http://www.grid-france.fr
[Mar 25, 2009 8:05:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

hadsm3mh_um6.02 is probably CPDN. Sciences not unloading when BOINC.exe is unloaded is bad and seen it a few times. If he installed as service, he can stop this to automatically launch at boot by changing the setting via services.msc

Doubt BOINC is causing the endless rebooting, rather a quite messed up OS, corrupted device drivers. Had it a few times and needed to do a system restore point recovery.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Mar 25, 2009 8:19:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
boulmontjj
Senior Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

His configuration is :

Système d'exploitation Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Nu 2600
Éditeur Microsoft Corporation
Ordinateur MARVIC
Fabricant Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Modèle P35-DS3R
Type PC à base X86
Processeur x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz
Processeur x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz
Version du BIOS/Date Award Software International, Inc. F9, 16/11/2007
Version SMBIOS 2.4
Répertoire Windows C:\WINDOWS
Répertoire système C:\WINDOWS\system32
Périphérique de démarrage \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Option régionale France
Nom NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
ID de périphérique Plug-and-Play PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0622&SUBSYS_34811458&REV_A1\4&1A9C9F1A&0&0008
Type de carte GeForce 9600 GT, compatible NVIDIA
Description de la carte NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Mémoire vive sur la carte 512,00 Mo (536 870 912 Octets)
Pilotes installés nv4_disp.dll
Version du pilote 6.14.11.8122
Fichier INF oem8.inf (section nv4_G9x_HD)
Plans de couleurs 1
Entrées de table des couleurs 4294967296
Résolution 1680 x 1050 x 59 hertz
Bits/pixel 32

He has not installed any hardware or software recently.
You're right for CDPN, i crunch too for that project.
I will ask him to do a system restore point recovery if the problem continue to occur.

[Mar 25, 2009 9:02:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Problem seems to have fixed itself. I haven't changed anything. It was running the FightAids@home project. Thanks guys for your suggestions. Maybe it was related to the particular tasks it was set?
[Mar 26, 2009 2:54:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread