Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1482 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
TimAndHedy
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Suspend Core

I have a quad core that most of the time runs at 100%. I often want to free up a single core for personal use.

The main menu has a activity/suspend but my suggestion would be to add the ability to free a core though that menu or perhaps change among multiple preferences depending upon the users current needs.
Currently I end up suspending everything when really one core would suffice.

I know I can go to preferences and do it that way but this would just be simpler and I would do it more often.
[Mar 27, 2009 3:07:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Suspend Core

Why? If you start to use the PC then Boinc slips into background.....very low priority.
[Mar 27, 2009 3:14:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TimAndHedy
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Not low enough. You can notice the difference.
[Mar 27, 2009 3:15:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well in my nine years of DC I have never noticed the difference.....
[Mar 27, 2009 3:32:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TimAndHedy
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

It works fine for web browsing, etc.

I have noticed it with my VPN, Real Time Stock Info, and of course any games.
[Mar 27, 2009 3:38:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You can also set Boinc to suspend when any user activity takes place (key/mouse) and not to resume until a period after last activity (5 mins - 30 mins) then there is no way that it can interfere....
[Mar 27, 2009 4:19:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TimAndHedy
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I have considered that but it's fine to be running when web browsing.

I really only need to free up a single core maybe 10-20 times a week.
That's plenty for most things. Once a week I may need them all.

80% of the time it can run 100% on all 4 cores.

The suspend shuts down everything I believe.
[Mar 27, 2009 4:30:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bieberj
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

I noticed something similar when I do run certain games on my thinkpad. In this case, what I do is just manually suspend BOINC completely, have fun with the game and when I am done, I resume BOINC. This works for me.

No reason why you can't do the same thing. Easier than trying to micromanage BOINC.
[Mar 27, 2009 7:07:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TimAndHedy
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Yes I could but without the micromanagement we lose potential work.

For example today I am working all day on 1 core.
I estimate if I suspended everything we lose about 10 work units.

It's not a critical issue but it all adds up. A simple interface could make this type of management easy.
[Mar 27, 2009 7:32:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

I noticed something similar when I do run certain games on my thinkpad. In this case, what I do is just manually suspend BOINC completely, have fun with the game and when I am done, I resume BOINC. This works for me.

No reason why you can't do the same thing. Easier than trying to micromanage BOINC.

As of 6.4 you can teach BOINC to suspend when certain programs are loaded... and if you forget to unload them, BOINC will stay in suspend.
Then, add to the cc_config.xml <options> section:
<exclusive_app>important.exe</exclusive_app>
BOINC will suspend computing whenever the executable is running (e.g., a game). Multiple applications can be specified. New in >= 6.3.13

I've never tried it, but it's either comma delimited or 1 line per app? Try and tell.

AND, I don't think 6.6 is ready for general computing, though soon some will see messages appear in their client log, that is those who do not use the 6.2.28 WCG version. Up front... at your own peril.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Mar 27, 2009 7:37:38 PM]
[Mar 27, 2009 7:35:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread