Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2227 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Solar Powered devices

To help promote solar technology, sales and aid people during the so called World Wide Recession, I am inviting people to list the devices they use in everyday environments that utilise energy derived from solar power panels. I also invite people to look at the financial aspects of this.

I will start off with a simple device / power solution that I and millions of people use world wide:
The solar powered battery charger.
I use a basic 2 battery charger that recharges AA, AAA, C and D batteries.
The unit cost me around £20 when purchased and postage was about £5. Total £25.
It is a bit less expensive now (about 2 years on) at £15 and Postage is £3. Total £18. There are other devices that do the same job from £12 inc postage and slightly better devices (4 battery chargers) for £20 inc.
I also purchased plenty of AA and AAA batteries, about 16 each.
Today’s prices vary from about £12 up to £20 for 16 batteries.
So I paid about £55 for a rechargeable charger and 32 batteries.
I also paid £15 for one LED desk lamp that used 4 AA batteries and £10 for another that used 4 AAA batteries(inc postage).
So all in I paid £80 to operate these 2 lamps for 2 years.
I have not used normal disposable batteries for these devices (or any other) since then.
So did I save anything?
Well firstly, I have not thrown any batteries out, so I have not yet impacted the environment with waste, though obviously at some stage they will all stop working.

I estimated that I would have used at least 100 normal batteries per year for each lamp.
The best online deal I can find is for 10 AA batteries + 10 AAA batteries all for £7.50. Not bad, but I would need 20 sets! That’s £150.
So my frugality saved me about £70, albeit over 2 years.
But that is not the full picture.
I also use the batteries for other devices such as my camera, 3 remote controls, 3 clocks, a torch, an mp3 player and a radio.
[Apr 14, 2009 6:59:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:
Re: Solar Powered devices

excellent idea,
I have been cleaning out the house finding myriads of batteries (both regular and rechargable). I need to get a solar one to get the recharging going. On the lamps though, if you had regular lamps that plugged in, you would not need batteries, so your costs saved are a bit off... However in your remotes and other things that normally use batteries, this is an excellent application to save numerous batteries from the landfills and off your electric bill (with plug in charger).
Last year before the snow started, i bought 4, 15 watt panels and plan to hook them to a battery with a built in 110v uh exchanger, forgot the word (INVERTER!) so i can charge that thing during the day and run a laptop off it at night or something else that runs 110, maybe a small TV. However it's snowed for 6 months here in the canadian prairies so haven't tried it yet.
BUT, until I get a good system in place, the best solution is to replace faulty equipment (fixed a leaky toilet and cut my water use in HALF). And there is a freezer downstairs with only frozen waffles and a freezer burnt turkey in it! That reminds me to go down there tomorrow throw all that out and unplug the thing! We switched most of the lights to those roundy flourescent things (except lamps near our heads cuz apparently they put out ultraviolet rays and people have got "sun" burnt from them) And we bought a 6 cylnder car (used and a great deal or we woulda gone 4 cylnder) to replace the V8 Dodge gas guzzling durango. Also reinsulated around doors and windows, going to insulate downstairs and put in LED lighting. Watching the electric car progress very carefully because my wife drives at highway speeds to the train station where she takes that into the city. A hybrid would be useless. but an electric PURRFECT. Also where i work (out of the city) they have plug ins for car block heaters and i could plug in and recharge my batteries.
So folks, keep crunching and coming up with ideas that we can do at home right now biggrin
----------------------------------------

[Apr 16, 2009 4:34:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Compact fluorescent lamps (and all fluorescent lighting) do work by creating UV light, but it is converted to visible light before it is emitted - only a tiny amount of UV escapes.

"a recent study in the US found that UV exposure from sitting under fluorescent lights for eight hours is equivalent to only one minute of sun exposure."

So, nothing to worry about. Nobody can possibly get a suntan from them, let alone sunburn.
[Apr 16, 2009 4:54:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
p3nguin53
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I'm considering getting a SOLIO or something similiar to charge my Blackberry. But I don't want to risk damaging my phone so I'm looking for recommendations.

Has anyone had any success with this device or is it not worth trying? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
[Apr 16, 2009 5:09:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

I'm considering getting a SOLIO or something similiar to charge my Blackberry. But I don't want to risk damaging my phone so I'm looking for recommendations.

It should be fine, but just check the Voltage and Amp requirement of your phone are close to the SOLIO:
The SOLIO has a Rated Output of 4-12V and 0-1 Amp.
It operates by saving energy to an internal 3.6V battery. It’s this (1600mAh Li-ion) battery that then charges your phone!

If you are interested, the Solar Panel Output (to the battery) is 165mA @ 6V.

My main concern is connecting to it. The SOLIO comes with a cable with a standard USB Port at one end, and a few adapters (mini-USB). So if your phone can charge from a USB port it should be able to charge from the SOLIO, unless you have lost your phones USB Connector!

GL
[Apr 17, 2009 7:22:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
noderaser
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

I try to do all of my battery charging in the car, collecting what otherwise would be wasted energy...
----------------------------------------
[Apr 18, 2009 5:55:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
p3nguin53
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

skgiven,
Thanks for the feedback on the SOLIO. I'll check out the numbers that you gave me to see if they're compatible. And I'll need to track down the USB cable. I know it's hiding somewhere in the house!
[Apr 18, 2009 6:42:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

"The solar powered battery charger."

I had one of these once. It warped when I left it in the sun!
[Apr 20, 2009 10:12:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

Your solar battery charger warped?

It must have had some extra special poor design qualities!
You were very unlucky with that. I have never heard of a solar device warping before. I can only presume it was poor quality plastic.

My solar charger sits on a window sill, in a small warm room, above a heater and a UPS and has not warped in the year that it has sat there - and there are usually batteries in it.

I have had problems with conventional chargers in the past. Usually due to battery leakage that has corroded the charger. Stepping 240V down to 1.2V is not easy!
[Apr 22, 2009 1:29:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Robotic
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I try to do all of my battery charging in the car, collecting what otherwise would be wasted energy...

You are mistaken.
There is no 'wasted energy' in the form of electricity to be gathered from your car. The only waste energy is heat.

Your car's electrical system creates (from the fuel burning in the engine) only as much electricity as is demanded at any instant.
So- place extra demands on the system (lights, wipers, fan, defroster, radio, various chargers) and you will make the engine work harder to produce that electricity.

Sorry to bring you the bad news.
[Apr 28, 2009 4:54:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread