Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1372 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
applause WCG now second in total BOINC credits

Congratulations! applause

WCG has just passed Einstein@Home in total BOINC credits on BOINCstats and is now on second place. Only Seti@Home is far, far ahead.

Greetings
Thorsten
[Apr 20, 2009 12:54:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
applause Re: WCG now second in total BOINC credits

Yes, and our next target is being bigger (better) in the dailies (and that UD agent points conversion to one-off knock a big chunk off the cumulative difference). Meantime we're heading for our 3rd 300+ TeraFlop day and sliding 21 days we're now over 280.

Someone asked, took a bit to reconstruct from raw data, and here is for the occasion the TF per project. Clearly HCC and FAAH are the leaders in the preferred projects field.

----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Apr 20, 2009 1:15:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: WCG now second in total BOINC credits

I knew all along that the UD points would put us in second place, but that task does not have a fixed delivery date. I estimate converting the 26B UD points will push another 3.7B credits to Boinc Stats but still leave us well behind SETI.

All numbers in Millions:
11,850 credits * 7 = 82,950 points (Boinc)

108,971 WCG Points
-82,950 (from Boinc)
---------
26,021 UD Points / 7 = 3,717 UD credits

I think that is right
[Apr 20, 2009 4:56:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

From the graph it is interesting to see that almost all the of decreased crunching for NRW has gone to HFCC. The impact on both these projects will be interesting when CMD2 goes live. Maybe the expected end date for NRW will be pushed out even further.

Has it ever happened where a project has been elevated to get it completed sooner rather than later? It would be a shame to see NRW take years to finish when it is so close to the end.
[Apr 20, 2009 5:11:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

I estimate converting the 26B UD points will push another 3.7B credits to Boinc Stats but still leave us well behind SETI.

Not surprising: they have started much before WCG (5 years?) and we are still far from getting as many credits per day as they do (26M vs 48M in average). This daily achievement is the first goal to reach before dreaming of catching up with them.

But we will not give up! Jean. smile
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Apr 20, 2009 5:22:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

astrolab,
Regarding Rice, look at their latest status update https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=25174 :they are still in low input mode. The reason for those lower numbers is not a lack of power, it is a reduced input pace. Obviously the power not necessary for Rice is moving to the other projects.

Cheers. Jean.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Apr 20, 2009 5:31:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Regarding Rice ... they are still in low input mode.

also, so that WCG can shout from the roof tops that, later on this year, we're looking to have 10 projects up and running at the same time, NRW had better not finish before the 10th project has started tongue

[Apr 20, 2009 5:55:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

also, so that WCG can shout from the roof tops that, later on this year, we're looking to have 10 projects up and running at the same time, NRW had better not finish before the 10th project has started

I disagree. That is like saying that the only treason that I crunch any particular project is so I can get a badge. WCG is already crunching more projects (7) than SETI (1) or Einstein (1). Who if WCG going to brag to?
[Apr 20, 2009 10:14:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

To purposefully leave projects open will not only spread the already hardworked staff and volunteers (thank you all!) even thinner as they try to handle more concurrent projects but also defeats our primary objective. The sooner we get results back to the scientists gets them another step closer to making real changes in our world.

When, hopefully soon, they get back up to full speed I bet there will be a new post that encourages people who have not yet got all of the bagdes to *hurry* and a reminder for those of us who have other personal goals (I am shooting for 1 year project) of the updated projhected end date. Perhaps even a follow up that might be something like an end of project *fund raiser* where we create a last big push of WUs to see the project off in style. Sounds like I might need to keep my eye on the project and fingers ready to post cool.
[Apr 20, 2009 10:40:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

astrolab & Snow Crash, you both seem to have missed my "leg pulling/tongue in cheek" comment. Of course, I'd like to see NRW (and all the other projects, when it comes to that) completed as quickly as possible.

If you remember, it was actually I who started the 'NRW near completion date' thread, and it's just a shame that, at one point, the estimated completion date, was as early as August 2009, whilst now it's March 2010!!! Obviously, if the scientists are having difficulties storing and processing the flood of results we keep sending them on a relentless basis, then it's obvious that we need to "throttle back", although with the recent announcement that they've now got their disc space issues resolved and are now catching up with their backlog, hopefully, the "tap" can be loosened somewhat - allowing a grand finale to happen in the very near future.

Of course, if WCG does at any point manage to get 10 (or more) concurrent projects up and running, then it can be included in various different press releases. Likewise, when NRW does conclude, then this information can also be put out in various different press releases. In both cases, these would generate positive news about the work we're all contributing to, and thus, hopefully, attracting yet more 'crunchers' biggrin

[Apr 20, 2009 11:05:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread