Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 318 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Setting up 4 servers to run BOINC

Hi all,

I've been searching the net for the last while but can't find any help on doing what I want to do.

I have 4 servers sitting idle that I want to get running the BOINC and connecting to the WCG.

These 4 machines are not connected to the net, but are connected to each other, AND connected to a machine that does have an internet connection.

All servers are running Ubuntu 8.04.

How can I install the BOINC Manager on the server that DOES have internet access, and then get the 4 other servers to connect up to the BOINC manager and start crunching?

There is no graphical user interface here, so I can only use the command line.

If this isn't clear, here's a diagram of what I'm looking to do,

Once I get this done, I promise to write up a guide on it so that the question never need come up again :)
[Nov 5, 2009 3:09:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Re: Setting up 4 servers to run BOINC

stuohy1,

What I think you are talking about is basically having the main server act as a proxy server for the other 4 machines. There is no BOINC setup that I know of that allows your main machines to run as a boinc server to the other 4 machines and request work for them from our server.

BUT, depending on your security and set up, you may be able to have the main box that is connected to the internet share it's network to the other 4 machines, this would basically cause the other 4 machines to then be on the internet. Making your main box a router.

Can you give us anymore information about the setup? behind corporate firewall? does the main internet server able to run the agent correctly at this time?

-Uplinger
[Nov 5, 2009 4:03:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Ah, that would explain it, I thought that's how the BOINC manager worked, that it could manage a load of non internet connected machines.

Basically there are a few servers behind the firewall and we have gotten one of them an IP address so it can be connected to the net, as a mail server, web server etc.

I'll have a look at sharing the internet connection, any tips on doing this on Ubuntu server? port forwarding or something like that?
[Nov 5, 2009 4:23:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

If you're able to connect to one of the 4 machines, do you know if it can contact out? Meaning on one of those machines do a

Just because the machines don't have an outside IP address for you to contact may still allow them to contact out. If this is the case, then you should be able to install the boinc agent on all 5 of your machines...

Depending how your network is set up, you may need to set a VPN server on the internet machine, BUT only allow access to the VPN from the 4 IP's you know about, that way outsiders can't try to access your VPN. When the VPN is set up you should be able to run the client on the other 4 machines to connect to the internet box. and thus get internet access through the internet connected machine.

One thing you may want to try also is to ask if these 4 machines can have access out via port 80 and 443. You can even ask the firewall folks to only open it up to World Community Grid servers to help with security if these machines need to stay protected. Remember outbound only on those ports, as World Community Grid does not contact your machines, they contact ours.

For advanced usage :) when you get those 4 machines up and running on World Community Grid, you may want to look into gui_rpc, which will allow you to manage these machines using the BOINC manager (the gui interface to the guts of BOINC). I can help with this if/when you get to this point.

-Uplinger
[Nov 5, 2009 4:37:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread