Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 767
Posts: 767   Pages: 77   [ Previous Page | 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 91525 times and has 766 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Computing for Clean Water Badge Recognition Thread

joneill003 I am very interested to hear about your linux experience but on another thread if you like. I am still hesitating to have a linux rig as I am a complete ignorant with that OS, and afraid to loose to much time to make it work.
But CEP2 runs only on Linux and I am afraid the Window version may never come or much too late.

An easy way to try the Linux experience is to use this flavor of Linux. Its has BOINC as part of the install. All you need to do is download the ISO, burn it to disc and then boot from the disc. You can chose to run it from the Live CD without installing it. If you like it you can install it, if not just reboot without the disc, no harm done. I have this flavor of Linux running as dedicated crunchers and they're pretty much set and forget. Just make sure you have the minimum requirements for ram and HDD space to run CEP2.

[OT]
@nanoprobe- I tried using that flavor of linux I found it in Sek's FAQs and both ISO's once burned to disc would not boot correctly. So I went an alternate route which was fairly easy

@hypernova- The alternate route I went was like this:
1. Go to ubuntu website and download the latest version (I think it's 10.04)
2. Burn the iso to a disc. I use Nero but I think any flavor of CD burning software can do this.
3. re-insert the disc into your Windows operating system and double click the disc in Windows Explorer. I believe this is what I did. It should start an auto run program on the Ubuntu disc.
4. There is an option to install the ubuntu program onto your current windows partition. No re-partitioning or setting up a dual boot is necessary.
5. Run the option to install to your windows partition. It will prompt you asking how much space to reserve to ubuntu. I believe I gave it 20GB.
6. When prompted you will need to reboot the machine to finish the installation. Just follow the prompts and you should be ok.
7. After the installation of the files is complete, you should be able to restart your machine and have a boot menu. By default it will select Windows (my version is XP) but it gives you 30 sec to choose. Choose ubuntu and boot up. My install of ubuntu already had my wireless driver installed as well as ethernet. I'm not sure how you would go about installing these drivers if you do not have them. My wifi connection is the little signal at the top right I just clicked, found my wifi network, entered my password, and was online just like that.
8. Once in the ubuntu GUI, select "Applications" (top left of the screen) and select the Ubuntu Software Center at the bottom of the list.
9. At the search on the top right (little magnifying glass is there) I typed "boinc" which pointed me to the boinc manager.
10. Download and install the boinc manager package.
11. Now click on the Applications tab at the top left. You'll notice under the sub menu "System Tools" there is the boinc manager.
12. Load the boinc manager and attach to WCG. Select a profile with CEP2 only and crunch away biggrin

This is how I was able to get a linux operating system to run on a machine without doing clean install and losing my windows OS. I am sure there are thousands of ways to go about this and probably other easier ways, but my way is working just fine ATM and I've got three days of run time credited toward CEP2 right now with more on the way. I'm actually in ubuntu right now typing this very rough "how to" up. I hope this helps you. Just don't take all the WU's away from me wink
[/OT]
[Sep 6, 2010 9:47:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

I tried using that flavor of linux I found it in Sek's FAQs and both ISO's once burned to disc would not boot correctly. So I went an alternate route which was fairly easy

Strange. I've used it as live cd, installed it on HDDs and used it to make bootable usb drives without a problem. Did you download it from the dotsch website?
----------------------------------------
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Sep 6, 2010 10:36:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Strange. I've used it as live cd, installed it on HDDs and used it to make bootable usb drives without a problem. Did you download it from the dotsch website?

Yeah I downloaded from the dotsch website which redirected me to the boinc website IIRC to download and neither the x64 or the i386 version worked for me. Probably I overlooked something but it would boot and then hang. Maybe my computer didn't like the boot disc. I was attempting to make the diskless USB boot flash drive. I probably should have tried booting on another computer to check.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 6, 2010 10:58:24 PM]
[Sep 6, 2010 10:57:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

I used the ftp download site but it shouldn't make any difference. By chance did you unpack the file before burning it too disc?
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Sep 6, 2010 11:53:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Plz, guys, break this Linux stuff out into a separate thread, in the Chat forum and do visit prior Linux focused threads. This is C4CW Badges and tribulations to get them.

cheers.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Sep 7, 2010 12:14:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Steve Dodd
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Emerald!!! Let's hope the WUs keeping coming long enough for sapphire. (Yes, back to the recognition stuff)

[Sep 7, 2010 2:37:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb077492
Advanced Cruncher

Rubies are red ...
[Sep 7, 2010 10:02:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hammerburg
Senior Cruncher

Got Silver!
Lieber einen guten Freund verprellt als auf einen Scherz verzichtet!
[Sep 7, 2010 12:35:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hammerburg
Senior Cruncher

Got Silver!
Lieber einen guten Freund verprellt als auf einen Scherz verzichtet!
[Sep 7, 2010 12:36:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Saphire with this mornings update! biggrin
[Sep 7, 2010 12:46:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 767   Pages: 77   [ Previous Page | 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread