Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 76
Posts: 76   Pages: 8   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 87143 times and has 75 replies Next Thread
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: RAMDisk

You also need to point BOINC to the new data directory on the Ramdisk. I always uninstalled BOINC and reinstalled it with the new settings, though there may be an easier way to do it.
[Aug 27, 2011 7:50:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoro42
Ace Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

To use the uninstall/reinstall method would I have to let all processes run to completion or just end the BOINC Manager and perform the uninstall/reinstall process and then Start BOINC?
----------------------------------------

[Aug 27, 2011 9:28:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

I believe Yoro, it's personal preference.
What I did was to click on no new tasks
Then when they had all run out i deleted boinc and
reinstalled it choosing advanced options and changing
data path to my Ramdisk. (as per Crystal pellets instructions)

TY so much CP, I now have 3 of my 8(HT) cores running (due to
overheating cores and lack of water cooling)
sounds like a nuclear power plant gone bad...

[Aug 28, 2011 4:57:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'm surprised you're having cooling issues even on air - to me, that suggests bad cooler/bad thermal paste application/obstructed airflow/using the "silent" settings in the BIOS (albeit that latter is unlikely given your description of noise levels).

I generally use the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus (best price/performance point IMO) and Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste...running I7 980X (92% CPU utilization, 11 simultaneous tasks) or I7 950 (87.5% CPU utilization, 7 simultaneous tasks) and Core 2 Q9550 (flat out, no hyper-threading so 4 simultaneous tasks), I don't see Tj temps above 64 Celsius on any of them.

Note, however, that I A/C to maintain ambient at 23 Celsius/73 Fahrenheit. (Until winter comes, and I start using the systems for heating. biggrin )

The secret to thermal paste, by the way, is to avoid excessive amounts. Oh, and if you do use the CM Hyper 212+ or any other air cooler, evaluate the thin washers that come with the things for the attachment points at the motherboard; adding paper washers (available with just about any cheap computer screws/nuts/standoffs kit) is often a wise idea if you see that any surface PCB circuit traces will be underneath the cooler attachment feet.

I've seen situations where raised circuit traces on the PCB/mobo can have the insulating varnish worn off (or worse) - and things will get wacky out, fast.
[Aug 28, 2011 5:54:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoro42
Ace Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

SekeRob,
If I go forward with my RAMDisk project I would like to get BOINCTasks for before and after comparison. How would I go about getting the software?

Another question: Would it be possible/feasible to run one BOINC Manager in RAMDisk e:\ (Program AND Data Directories) for CEP2 and another in c:\ (Program AND Data Directories) for everything else?

[Edit 2 times, last edit by yoro42 at Aug 29, 2011 6:14:51 PM]
[Aug 28, 2011 9:38:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

I'm surprised you're having cooling issues even on air - to me, that suggests bad cooler/bad thermal paste application/obstructed airflow/using the "silent" settings in the BIOS (albeit that latter is unlikely given your description of noise levels).

The secret to thermal paste, by the way, is to avoid excessive amounts.

I'm pretty sure something is bunged up with the paste.
The I7 2600K had some preapplied paste.
But either I didn't properly place the cooler on it who knows.
The airflow should be fine (same place as the last computer I put there)
And the fans on this case dont actually connect to the motherboard.
They come with a little switch with L M H as options. Bizzare I know.
I have them on medium and the air is quite cool coming out of the case.

So I bought a Kuhler 920 and after looking at their IKEA grade instructions,
think I will take it to a shop and have them install it. Thanks for your input.
Glad that someone confirms my theory.

Edit: Rereading this it might be construed as sarcastic,
this is TOTALLY not the case, I'm very grateful for the help
I receive on these boards.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jack007 at Aug 29, 2011 5:24:13 PM]
[Aug 29, 2011 2:14:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rickjb
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

I think that the attempts by you guys to speed up CEP2 thrughput by using a RAM disk won't have much effect, except at the startup of each WU when the program uncompresses the input data into multiple subdirectories containing zillions of little data files.

I don't see much HDD LED activity on my machines that are running CEP2, except at this startup period. I think that the bottleneck may be in the o/s due to it having to manipulate all of these files in its disk cache. I just posted on this subject in the DSFL Forum here: Re: 64-bit app on the way?.
-------------------------
[OT] @Jack007: Temps in the 60s on a 2600K running only 2 cores definitely seems wrong. If you pull the HSF off, inspect the mating surfaces of the CPU heatspreader (metal lid) and the heatsink, checking that all but a small amount of the paste has been squeezed out. If you are still using the awful standard Intel HSF, perhaps one or more of the nylon hold-down pegs has popped out, or something around the CPU socket is stopping the heatsink from descending fully onto the CPU.

On reinstalling BOINC: You can just reinstall it, but things sometimes go wrong, so I strongly recommend making a snapshot copy of the BOINC data directory first.
But before you do so, fully shut down BOINC. If you have it installed as a service ("protected application"), shut down the BOINC service. On Windows 2k/XP, do Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services, select BOINC and click Stop.
If there is a problem after the install or you have moved the BOINC data directory, stop the service again, copy your backup files over the new data directory, then start the service.
Changing from a 32-bit BOINC to a 64-bit one or vice versa may be different to reinstalling a client of the same type.
Sometimes I have found that BOINC won't start up properly after the reinstall. Sometimes your precious tasks appear briefly then all disappear or they won't start. A 2nd BOINC install has always fixed this for me. [/OT]
[Sep 2, 2011 1:28:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoro42
Ace Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

RAMDisk downloaded, paid for and installed. However, from what I understand, I do not plan to implement do to minimal benefit. I would lose more processing time to shutdown and reinstall BOINC than I could make up in a relatively short time.

[Sep 7, 2011 4:53:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I use RAMDisk mainly to save writes to my SSD. The performance gain is minimal, but I have the extra memory sitting there anyway, so why not use it. I doubt that my SSD would fail prematurely without it, but if it did, I would lose a lot more time than it would take to install the RAMDisk. The main question for me is whether the PC has a backup power supply. If not, then I wouldn't bother with RAMDisk.
[Sep 8, 2011 3:07:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

We haven't benchmarked this but in I/O intensive calculations, RAMDisk certainly has the potential for substantial speedups. Our inhouse-calcs are usually too big to fit in memory, so it is unfortunately not an option for us. But we are certainly interested in your experience on this front.
Best wishes from
Your Harvard CEP team
[Sep 8, 2011 4:03:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 76   Pages: 8   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread