Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 76
Posts: 76   Pages: 8   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 87392 times and has 75 replies Next Thread
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: RAMDisk

Greetings from MEXICO!

Ok it was fun for a week but I´m ready to go home.

Anyway the whole point of the RAM for me is not so much for speed increase
(adding the I7 2600K was the increase) but to decrease the
write times to the HD. I figure I can easily run 4 CEP2 and 4 others
with a 10 GIG ramdisk. Anyway to the guy that bought it and does
not want to use it, just set to no new tasks, finish up those you have
then do the reinstall, save your HD if nothing else. Adios biggrin
----------------------------------------

[Sep 8, 2011 4:22:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

But we are certainly interested in your experience on this front.
I have two PCs running CEP2. At present, they are both limited to only 1 task downloaded at a time (the default setting), since running more than that can cause reductions in overall efficiency on all projects, not just CEP2.

On my "Main PC", I have a dual-core (E8400 with 6 MB on-chip cache) and a fast SSD (Samsung 470 series, which is good on writes). Using BOINC Tasks for measurement, I see maybe a one percent increase in CPU percentage, from around 95 to 96 percent when using the DataRam RAMDisk (4 GB, which is more than enough).

On my "Folding PC", I have a quad-core (Q8300 with only 4 MB cache) and a Vertex 2 SSD, which is also good on writes. There I use FancyCache 0.7 beta, with a 24-hour write latency, so that it acts essentially like a RAMDisk too, with practically all of the reads and writes on main memory. I see a comparable increase of maybe one percent CPU efficiency with the use of the cache as compared to writing directly to the SSD.

I think the real gains with a RAMDisk would be seen if you use a spinning magnetic drive, where the write delay would really slow you down, especially if you are running multiple CEP2 tasks. And also the later Intel CPUs may have better I/O characteristics. But for me, it seems to be the I/O of the CPU itself, and especially the quad-core, that is the limiting factor on speed since I have fast SSDs anyway.

Somewhat OT, but if you could arrange to only run one CEP2 at a time even if more were downloaded, that would be useful for me. I would be happy to have one always running, but when I allow more than one downloaded at at time, they usually bunch up and I get two (or more) running at once, which is not too good for my other projects.
[Sep 8, 2011 4:44:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

Well my Ramdisk is up and running, I'm running 2 CEP2 tasks (and 6 DSFL) was running fine for a couple days then around 838pm suspended for CPU benchmarks and 3 hours later when I looked at the machine, it was still suspended. I exited WCG and restarted and it did benchmarks, but it only took a few seconds this time.
So it's running ok, but wasted 3 hours... (plus whatever I lost that wasn't checkmarked when I restarted.)

Machine is an I7-2600K win 7 home(64 bit) 16 gigs of ram and 10 gig ramdisk. Nothing else but the cooling program running.

Edit: Well apparently it's hosed again, I'm at work but not seeing results for this device being completed. Guess I'll reinstall without the
Ramdisk... unless someone knows something

Edit2: Been running with 2 tasks and RAMDISK is doing fine for
a week or so. Going to tweek settings like shutting off virtual memory.
I heard my HD going sometime so that's gotta go!

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Jack007 at Oct 5, 2011 4:48:40 PM]
[Sep 29, 2011 6:32:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Greetings from Italy!

Dear cruncher I have question for you, I have created a 10gb space with ramdisk plus on win7 x64 16gb system, should I use a NTFS format? and which space allocation I should use (range from 4096 byte to 64kbyte) ?

Thanks
[Jan 3, 2012 11:20:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

A thought along this front that is well worth considering, mileage will vary as always due to personal PC use yaddie yadda, but its rare this does not meet needs.

The issue with CEP2 is disk I/O, so the more its reduced the better - for slower disks, performance - for SSDs increasing drive life with fewer disk accesses. I have used Diskeeper for well over ten years, and it keeps on getting better. In particular their Intelli-write facility and the new hyperfast for SSDs has vertually eliminated excessive Disk I/O for me, I hardly ever see the drive light on, whether its SSD boot drive or my mechanical data drives.

They do the usual 30 day trial, and if you have not used it before, its well worth a go to see if it suits your setup and preferences. Its not fly-by-night software, its the industry standard Defrag software and used by the overwhelming majority of Corporations. MS engagaed them years ago to produce a cutdown version for inclusion in Windows. Its reliable, and has the lineage to invoke confidence. Just a case if it suits you.

You can check it here www.diskeeper.com

Any questions on it, by all means yell, I'll try to answer them.

Regards
Zy
[Jan 7, 2012 11:48:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Under W7-64 and 32, neither my 5 years olds nor my new state of the art, but still classic SATA HD 5400 rpm fitted laptop [with Intel Rapid Storage tech] have issue with CEP2. They run well into the 99% plus efficiency when devices are left alone. The deterioration of CEP2 is though more paramount when using the systems than with other non HD IO intense devices. Probably, with the new host I'm going to set the affinity automation to the highest 4 threads. Process Lasso app is already running in this 64 bit OS as throttle control [ThreadMasterGUI is not working at all on this new system].

Have expressed this before; wish CEP2 would adhere to the client Write to Disk settings. Then I'd set it to 12 hours, and complete in 1 run within memory and not having to toy, to include with ramdisks [not having to perm allocate a ram section]... much more efficient IMHO.

--//--
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 7, 2012 12:33:52 PM]
[Jan 7, 2012 12:22:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Have expressed this before; wish CEP2 would adhere to the client Write to Disk settings. Then I'd set it to 12 hours, and complete in 1 run within memory and not having to toy, to include with ramdisks [not having to perm allocate a ram section]... much more efficient IMHO.

--//--
I would agree...I even run a WSUS server in order to attain some semblance of control over the installation timing of patches coming down from Microsoft and have crunching systems on UPS to avoid interruption by power blips...all of which is something of a wasted effort since one cannot control disk writes.

Given that the technical definition of "checkpointing" is adding fault tolerance by periodically saving a snapshot of application state, I can envision a scenario where the calculations wouldn't leave sufficient "windows" for discrete control of checkpointing - but turning checkpointing off altogether would seem to be well within the realm of possibility in that scenario.

An inability to control disk writes at all suggests the use of the hard drive as buffer for intermediate results...inefficient, that.
[Jan 7, 2012 10:13:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Dear cruncher I have question for you, I have created a 10gb space with ramdisk plus on win7 x64 16gb system, should I use a NTFS format? and which space allocation I should use (range from 4096 byte to 64kbyte) ?

FAT32 works for me with Dataram RAMDisk. And just use the default sector size if you have a choice (e.g., 4096 bytes is good).
[Jan 11, 2012 8:56:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

Hi all,

I have also jumped on board of the RAMDisk train and couldn't be happier. I have recently added 4GB of DDRAM3 to my main system for this purpose and last weekend I finally managed to set everything up so that I use the new 4GB partition to store Boinc's work folder.

I have immediately noticed an increase in efficiency (without using any app though, just from previous CPU vs elapsed time readings that I got) and I have no intention on going back.

I am crunching for all projects and everything is working smoothly so far. I have also allowed 2 CEP2 tasks on this machine and it downloaded them immediately although I am also using this PC for SETI and had plenty of tasks in the queue.

Before it started crunching the first CEP2 task, I never saw the disk usage going above 500MB, while using 3 of the 4 CPU cores so 3 simultaneous WCG tasks, plus a SETI GPU+CPU task.

Anyway, just to add a "+1" to this thread and to confirm everything is working out for me.

Cheers! smile
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world! - Albert Einstein

[Jan 12, 2012 8:53:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I am back in the CEP2 business after a few months absence, waiting for Ivy Bridge. I have a new Core i5-3550, which does very nicely with 3 CEP2 jobs running at once, and I will be testing all four cores before long.

But I found that the latest Dataram Ramdisk version (v3.5.130R24) is not very stable for me, at least on one PC, and so I am trialing Primo Ramdisk (from Romex Software) now. It is working very stably on both the Core i5 and on a Core2 Duo. Also, it saves and loads the ramdisk image to the SSD much faster than the Dataram version, though it does cost more. If anyone needs suggested settings, I can recommend some. (I am using the "Direct-IO disk" mode, which is said to be a little faster, but anything is fast enough for my purposes, which is mainly to save my SSD from excessive writes.)
[Jun 4, 2012 9:59:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 76   Pages: 8   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread