Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 1840
Posts: 1840   Pages: 184   [ Previous Page | 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 313695 times and has 1839 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Research Log: Updates from the Harvard Team

CEPDB is now fully populated with the data collected up to date, i.e., with over 3 million graphs, 24 million geometries, and 120 million quantum chemistry results. The work has now shifted to making the analyzer perform adequately with this massive dataset – the original query system has become unsustainably slow at this scale. Welcome to the joys of profiling and cache optimization :).
[Oct 6, 2012 4:55:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Our undergrad Aidan has quietly been working away on some very innovative data modeling approaches from computer science over the last months and is now ready to incorporate our quantum chemistry data into these models as well. Awesome job, Aidan!
[Oct 7, 2012 3:20:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The Harvard CEP team wishes all of our crunchers in the US a Happy Columbus Day, and the Canadians a Happy Thanksgiving!
[Oct 8, 2012 9:13:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rewood1000
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

For what it is worth, I have to say you folks at CEP set the gold standard for feedback to us crunchers. Keep up the good work!
[Oct 9, 2012 2:12:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks rewood1000,
we are very happy that the WCG community is interested in the conversation with the research team :).
Best wishes
Your Harvard CEP team
[Oct 9, 2012 5:43:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Alan is giving a big talk at MIT today. The title of his presentation is "Learning from Nature: Bacterial light harvesting antennas and perspectives for new organic materials for solar cells" and he will combine some of the excitonics work in the group as well as our Clean Energy Project. Here is the full abstract:

"Green-sulfur bacteria is a remarkable organism that can carry out photosynthesis in low-light conditions such as those present in the bottom of the ocean or moonlight. In this talk, geared for a general scientific audience, I will describe my group's efforts to understand how this organism harvests sunlight so efficiently. I will proceed to describe the possible implications of these light-harvesting mechanisms for enhancing energy transport in organic materials. I will end by briefly discussing our screening efforts for materials for organic solar cells using computer time from distributed donors around the world."
[Oct 9, 2012 7:31:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Oct 9, 2012 7:36:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

For what it is worth, I have to say you folks at CEP set the gold standard for feedback to us crunchers. Keep up the good work!

Absolutely, it also gives a stimulus to keep engaged in this wonderfull project.
[Oct 9, 2012 9:47:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Our undergrad Aidan has quietly been working away on some very innovative data modeling approaches from computer science over the last months and is now ready to incorporate our quantum chemistry data into these models as well. Awesome job, Aidan!
I can't wait to see the accumulated data physically represented with Popsicle sticks. Let's see...give all the children of Boston a dozen Popsicles apiece...probably need a few semi-trailer loads of paper towels...oh, and porta-potties...lots of porta-potties...bioengineering, finest-kind. Of course, modeling with Popsicle sticks has risks... lolll...yeah, computers make life simpler.
[Oct 10, 2012 7:16:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rickjb
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

@cleanenergy: I am confused.
> "Green-sulfur bacteria is a remarkable organism ..."
Could you please explain how more than one organism (green-sulfur bacteria) can be just one organism? What kind of mathematical trickery is this?
Does the phrase "green-sulfur bacteria" refer to a class of organisms comprising multiple species or strains of bacteria, or do all green-sulfur bacteria belong to the one species and strain?
Either way, you could have said "green-sulfur bacteria are remarkable organisms ...". This would have given no information regarding the number of species involved. You could perhaps have said "The green-sulfur bacterium is a remarkable organism ...", but only if you wished to imply that all green-sulfur bacteria are of the same type.
Could you please explain what you mean so that I can be freed from my terrible state?
- Rick
[Oct 10, 2012 2:05:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 1840   Pages: 184   [ Previous Page | 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread