Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 671 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
To: My greedy wingman - Thanks!

I do believe you earned me quite the bonus.

When you claimed 3,013.6 points for 12.00 hours of CPU time on E203351_ 953_ C.29.C23H12N4OS.00782092.1.set1d06_ 0 (which you returned on 03/10/11 at 18:54:17), it would appear that WCG scratched its metaphorical head, shrugged its equally metaphorical shoulders, and granted you 1,520.4 points.

And then - I suppose to reward me for my industriousness and humility - WCG pondered the fact that I had claimed only 117.6 points for 5.02 hours of CPU time on E203351_ 953_ C.29.C23H12N4OS.00782092.1.set1d06_ 1 (which I had returned on 02/10/11 at 21:56:28) and awarded me 6,588.3 points.

I have finally been involved in a transaction where somebody else's greed benefited me the most! A first in my increasingly not inconsiderable lifetime!

Thank you most kindly! (Even if it was just the software doing the claiming without any manual intervention on your - or my - part biggrin)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Oct 4, 2011 1:48:34 AM]
[Oct 4, 2011 1:47:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BSD
Senior Cruncher
Re: To: My greedy wingman - Thanks!

Stand by for the bell curve adjustment from your CEP2 peers. shhh I'm so envious of your grand achievement. applause
[Oct 4, 2011 2:28:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Attention clean energy guru's, someone smack the server, its acting up again. laughing

Sorry, couldnt resist. wink
Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bearcat at Oct 4, 2011 2:35:12 AM]
[Oct 4, 2011 2:33:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
coolstream
Senior Cruncher
SCOTLAND
Project Badges:

Interesting...

One person's machine claims points for work done as part of the automatic process and you call that fellow cruncher greedy. Think about it. He is very likely unaware of the actual result but you are the one making a big deal of it.

If you come to think of it, your machine has 'robbed' him. So who's the greedy one now? wink

All the same. Congrats on your windfall applause

Crunching in memory of my Mum PEGGY, cousin ROPPA and Aunt AUDREY.
[Oct 15, 2011 3:00:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
astrolabe.
Senior Cruncher

and now the Techs have the opportunity to adjust your points
[Oct 15, 2011 3:25:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Interesting...

One person's machine claims points for work done as part of the automatic process and you call that fellow cruncher greedy. Think about it. He is very likely unaware of the actual result but you are the one making a big deal of it.

If you come to think of it, your machine has 'robbed' him. So who's the greedy one now? wink

All the same. Congrats on your windfall applause

Apparently the last line of a post is the hardest one to find the time to read and/or the most difficult to comprehend. In the event the former is the issue, I hereby quote said line of my original post:
Thank you most kindly! (Even if it was just the software doing the claiming without any manual intervention on your - or my - part biggrin)
In the event the latter is the issue...guess I will have to work on my written English for I do (faintly) recall a technical writing course wherein I was informed that a lack of comprehension on the part of the reader was indicative of a failure by the writer.
[Oct 15, 2011 2:06:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

and now the Techs have the opportunity to adjust your points

Not something I am concerned about. The number of points I received represented an anomaly; after decades involved in "things technical", I have found it best to bring anomalies to the attention of those who are reliant upon the accuracy of the ongoing process or analysis. The relationship between an apparently trivial output of an analysis and a more critical output is not necessarily known to someone like myself who does not have the code/math/process readily available for review.

Especially when said incident provides me with an opportunity to be somewhat satirical (albeit some of the replies tend to reinforce the perception that satire is wasted on the scientific community, however peripheral the attachment to the latter may be).
[Oct 15, 2011 2:15:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KWSN - A Shrubbery
Master Cruncher

I would say satirical perception is lost on the majority of the internet community. I can't speak for the scientific community as well, although there are occasional splendid examples of ignorance from that quarter as well (guess the rarity makes them more noticeable).

Don't be too hard on yourself for the lack of reading comprehension. The average person today has the equivalent attention span of a gnat it would seem. As usual, weight the comments as is appropriate to the source.

Distributed computing volunteer since September 27, 2000
[Oct 16, 2011 1:13:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
coolstream
Senior Cruncher
SCOTLAND
Project Badges:

Your sentiment wasn't lost on me. In fact I think that we both chose to make our point in a similar way.

At the risk of repeating myself, once more I say, 'Congrats on your windfall applause '

Crunching in memory of my Mum PEGGY, cousin ROPPA and Aunt AUDREY.
[Oct 16, 2011 9:32:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread