Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 415 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Mark100
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Still broke........

Hello all,

its a pretty old thread but my problem fits into it very well:

The WU 24.10.2011 06:23:51 World Community Grid Restarting task E203530_368_C.28.C23H12N2S2Se.00137602.2.set1d06_0 using cep2 version 640

is hanging since 3 days between 2% and 7%..it runs a while normaly, and then, when i play a game it switches back to 2% again, always this game.
Im not an expert in these things unfortunately, so im just quitting this WU, but i thought you might be interested which WU exactly it is.
[Oct 24, 2011 6:18:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi,

this here is the old CEP1 forum, have a look at the CEP2 forums, your problem has been discussed there lots of times :)

You might try this:

(1) Make sure to switch LAIM on (leave app in memory while suspended on)
(2) Avoid turning off the computer while there are unfinished CEP2 tasks. Checkpoints are often hours ago.
(3) Don't run CEP2 while running applications with high CPU usage such as gaming. You can run other tasks safely.
(4) If problem persists, reduce the number of simultaneously running CEP2 tasks under "device manager".
[Oct 24, 2011 11:20:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, sort of. I have a CEP2 task running on my workstation, it ran for a couple of hours yesterday, then I closed down the workstation and today it's back to 1%, 15 minutes run time. Seems like a waste.

The other tasks on the workstation are running fine, restarting without loss of work.

Does CEP2 have a very low rate of saving progress? If so, then I might not be able to do any load for this project, as I can't guarantee a very long run time without interruptions.
[Nov 21, 2011 9:59:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
CEP2: Still broke........

Nothing broke. Typically the 3rd job of 16 in a task takes multiple hours before it checkpoints and saves progress, so it was a bit unfortunate you closed down after a few hours [and one of the reasons why CEP2 is made an explicit opt-in science... requiring acquainting with it's particulars]. Hibernating rather than powering down would have preserved the status in memory to disk and resumed the task where it was when powering up. With hibernating, also activate the "Leave application in memory when suspended". This computer feature, mostly used for laptops, does not use power, but does allow for quick resume where the computer and everything else on it left off.

--//--

P.S. To admin, would you please move this to the CEP2 forum.

thx
[Nov 21, 2011 10:28:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: CEP2: Still broke........

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try the "keep in memory" option and hopefully it'll work with hibernation.

Thanks
[Nov 21, 2011 10:36:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread