Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 528 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Cancel a working unit?

Hi,

Does it bother WCG if i stop a working unit?
Because I have one WU that need 8 hours to complete before tomorrow, but i will stop my computer in 3 hours !
So, can I stop this one to start another WU?
Is this a problem for the Scientist Community if one WU is not finished?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Oct 27, 2011 6:39:10 PM]
[Oct 27, 2011 6:37:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Re: Cancel a working unit?

no, no problems at all - the grid is set up to handle situations like this, as, when you abort it, another copy will be created and sent out to another cruncher.

[Oct 27, 2011 7:19:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

LouisH,

There's no reason to cancel a job because you/your client can't finish it today. Finish it tomorrow and given it's CEP2 with long checkpoint intervals, do check the task properties to see that the progress checkpoint save was made recently. The 3 hours is for most enough time to reach the next one.

Water under bridge of course, because we're 12 hours later, but in case for your next job :D

--//--
[Oct 28, 2011 7:06:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

So, if the deadline is passed, the WU is not stopped right away?
We can continue until the next checkpoint on the internet?
Is that what you mean?
[Oct 30, 2011 9:01:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wplachy
Senior Cruncher

So, if the deadline is passed, the WU is not stopped right away?

If the WU is running after the deadline has passed it will continue running.
We can continue until the next checkpoint on the internet?
Is that what you mean?

The checkpoints are stored on your PC. What SekeRob was refering to is that you can stop the BOINC client and then restart it the next day. When it is restarted the WU will restart from the last checkpoint taken. CEP2 WU's often have a long period of time between checkpoints, so you should check to see the difference in time between the CPU time at last checkpoint and the current CPU time. The difference between them is the time you will loose when you restart the WU. If it is a big difference (40 minutes or more for example) he was suggesting you wait until the next checkpoint before shuting down the PC so as not to lose a large block of CPU time.
Bill P

[Oct 31, 2011 12:03:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread