Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 401 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Host name capitalized counts as different host?

I had a box blow up when I forgot that Win7 had located a system reserved partition on a RAID 0 set so when I relocated BOINC's data directory there to take advantage of the higher access rates [it was also on a SATA 3 rather than SATA 2 bus], CEP2 shortly demonstrated that the I/O from six simultaneously CEP2 tasks is more than capable of revealing the weaknesses in the Marvell 91xx series of SATA 3 chips and drivers.

Anyway, after reconfiguring the drives and reinstalling the O/S, when I put the NETBIOS name in I apparently put it in all caps - which is normally meaningless (outside of 'nix world), but it appears that WCG interpreted it to be a different box even though things like CPU, memory, and even MAC and internal IP address all stayed the same.

Is there anything I can do about it (like change the name back to lower case) in order to merge ongoing point collection with historical points on that box? I was having fun working my way into the top 10 point collectors for my computer count, but trying to work my way into the top 10 of those who have "N" computers when I'm really only running "N - 1" computers is going to be...challenging.
[Oct 28, 2011 6:48:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Host name capitalized counts as different host?

Hi ibsteve2u,
WCG started out running UD rather than BOINC. Under UD, it was impossible to merge host devices. About the time that we started running BOINC in tandem with UD, BOINC changed to allow devices to merge, but we have never had the time to undo the changes to BOINC that we made to allow it to run with UD and then replace the code with the new BOINC code. If you want your stats all together, you will have to use a third-party BOINC stats site.

Sorry,
Lawrence
[Oct 28, 2011 7:06:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

WCG can't care less about the host name... it's there for you for easy recognition. If the same device ID is presented (a number printed in the message log of 6 or 7 digits) and all other credentials check, the Result Status page will immediately print the new name. For instance, you had 10 tasks assigned to 'capitals' and you then named it 'CAPITALS', the prior assigned tasks will assume that external name immediately on the RS pages.

Whilst, if you did a clean install i.e. did not restore an old boinc-datadir backup of that specific *known* client before the install, chances are indeed that WCG sees a new device, also because in that case the host name was not the same. It is critical that the old datadir is in place and recognized by BOINC before the first connection is made with the servers, so the recommendation (written up in those infamous Start Here FAQ somewhere) is to do all that whilst the device is not connected to the intertubes and only when you're happy to see the old data in BOINC, to connect.

All that said, miracles can be worked by stopping BOINC, pull the internet cable, overwriting the new data dir with the old data and doing a BOINC reinstall (repair), check things and connect. Maybe the servers will say ''hello old friend'', wipe any old result info and pull new.

--//--
[Oct 28, 2011 7:07:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Given the fact that the Marvell chipset/firmware/drivers did a remarkably good job of scrambling the original BOINC data and config files when they first broke the RAID set and then tried to reinitialize the set's members as a new RAID set, restoring the original files is not an option. My bad for moving that directory instead of just copying it until I had some evidence of stability.

Guess I'll quit paying attention to those categories. (lolll...with all due props to Aesop, they say vanity is a weakness anyway.)

Thanks for the info, though!
[Oct 29, 2011 2:40:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread