Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 962 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Mising Credit?

Hi jasonvr,
I'm running CEP2 on the same Dell - heat can indeed be a problem. I put mine on a book which gives the vent slits plenty of room for airflow. That way I can run CEP2 on full load.
However, I don't think heat causes your BSOD - when the motherboard or hd get too hot, a heat sensor just performs an emergency shutdown (i.e., the computer just switches off) without blue screen. So the origin is probably somewhere else, maybe missing/incompatible drivers after you installed WCG?
Best wishes
Your Harvard CEP team

Well it looks like backing down the settings has helped. No BSOD last night. Note that I never actually saw the BSOD, I just found my computer rebooted and Windows reported the problem as a Blue Screen.

I also installed onto my quad core i7 laptop at work to process on off hours, so a little extra horsepower.
[Nov 18, 2011 3:34:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Mising Credit?

Well it looks like backing down the settings has helped. No BSOD last night. Note that I never actually saw the BSOD, I just found my computer rebooted and Windows reported the problem as a Blue Screen.
@jasonvr: Were I you, I'd still review (and keep an eye on) the event log (system) for errors indicating hard drive and/or storage controller (SATA/IDE) issues. When BSODs that you see under heavy CPU and I/O (hard drive read/writes) loading aren't related to heat issues alone, they often indicate a "weak" component. IME, that usually means a hard drive that is on the verge of failure, an I/O component whose drivers are outdated (specifically storage controller or motherboard chipset drivers) or whose hardware and/or drivers are generally "not up to snuff", or a weak memory stick. Or, of course, overclocking beyond the system's capabilities or without ensuring enough CPU or memory voltage.

I.e, it is wise to translate what is effectively failure during a "burn-in" period of heavy loading as the potential for a failure under lighter loading, just as you would translate a horrible noise coming from your car's engine when you accelerate rapidly as a signal to check for a condition that may leave you stranded by the roadside (out of cellphone range, of course) at some later date.

(Edit: To rule out memory stick issues, you might consider using the software and instructions available at http://www.memtest.org/ to create a bootable CD and test for same.)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 18, 2011 9:32:56 PM]
[Nov 18, 2011 9:15:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread