Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 28
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2065 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
Amelior Scout
Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: CEP2: Checkpoints

Hmm, so if you put your computer into sleep or hibernation while computing CEP2 will the work unit revert to the last checkpoint as it would if the computer was completely shut down or will it remain at the current percentage?
----------------------------------------
~Life is ever-changing~
[Jan 7, 2012 6:14:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Plz refer to the Start Here FAQs for detail description of how checkpoints work and when for each science. Hibernate/Sleep works as a *virtual* checkpoint... On power-up there is no loss of time. It's like you go to sleep and next day... scratch that, humans do forget :). It's no different as closing the lid on a laptop while working on a spreadsheet and on opening the spreadsheet still being there, unaltered. Of course the power options must have been specified to sleep/hibernate when closing lid. Hibernate is preferred over sleep in the long run as former does not use power, where latter does [but brings up the system quicker]. If you [ut a system to sleep and you loose power it has the effect of a full shutdown.

--//--
[Jan 7, 2012 8:41:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Amelior Scout
Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

0.0 Great! That means I *can* work on this project :D! I've switched my "shutdown" button to put the computer into hibernation mode. YES! Thanks! :D
~Life is ever-changing~
[Jan 7, 2012 11:34:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Great! Glad that there was a simple solution to the problem.
Best wishes
Your Harvard CEP team
[Jan 8, 2012 5:47:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rickjb
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

Sometimes I've had running WCG science tasks crash immediately on resuming after hibernation, so before hibernating, I do Activity > Suspend in BOINC Manager
(You must have LAIM set).

Of course. you must remember to do Activity > Run when you resume :)

The crashes may only be a problem on overclocked machines, but keep your eyes open until you've checked that running tasks don't crash when resuming on your hardware.

BTW:
Windows seems to find many excuses to silently fail to hibernate. If you get this, check:
- that hibernation is enabled in Control Panel > Power settings
- that you have enough space on the boot partition of your disc to hold the complete uncompressed image of all of your physical RAM. Filename: hiberfil.sys (may be hidden).
- Hardware devices. If a device driver does not support hibernation properly, Windows won't even try to hibernate.
Windows 7 introduced Hybrid Sleep, which is the same as ordinary Sleep, but first backs up images of all tasks to disc. If power is lost, Windows has to start up from scratch, but it then loads & resumes the tasks. Should work for BOINC tasks. I haven't tried it - anyone??
HTH
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rickjb at Jan 12, 2012 1:46:18 AM]
[Jan 12, 2012 1:45:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If its crashing on startup on OC than they should increase LLC. Vdrop causes crash
[Jan 12, 2012 4:09:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
asdavid
Veteran Cruncher
FRANCE
Project Badges:

Hello
I got that problem several times in the past and then changed the LAIM setting to yes.
Unfortunately, this does not prevent the CEP tasks to be restarted from the beginning quite often (mostly CPU overloaded, i think).
I will consider stopping CEP2 after the silver badge sad
Anne-Sophie

[Edit 2 times, last edit by asdavid at Jan 31, 2012 3:20:08 PM]
[Jan 31, 2012 2:32:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi,

MAIM? Mangle Application In Memory? No, LAIM does not prevent CPU overload during the run, but it does speed up resume after client pausing and do that from the second it was suspended.

There are tricks to stop CEP2 whilst using the computer and let it resume when away through the memory options during work and idle. E.g. if the device has 1GB of memory, allow 250 MB during use [25%] and 1Gb during idle [100%].

Just a thought to help you reconsider.

--//--
[Jan 31, 2012 2:43:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread