Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1540 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: task status download failed: now what?

i have one adsl line of dubious nominal bitrate: it used to be 16000bps when i signed up, but the QoS came down and i got trimmed back to something that was never stated in so many words. i'm kinda glad it's not baked beans cans and parcel string out here, you know...
but anyhow, this feeds into a "wlan router" box provided by my access provider. this in turn plugs into a gigabit switch, behind which i hide my various machines. any 2-7 may be live at any moment, but mostly talking to each other. none of the boincing machines is on linux, they're all mac and win.

just now, speednet gave this reading:
ping 83ms
down speed 1.89Mbps
up speed 0.2Mbps
i guess i'm muddying the issue, but i've added a third machine now (win box, after two macs) and that has apparently received and executed jobs for CEP today. IOW it sometimes does work.
i find it difficult to believe it is the line, then, because if it was, should that not affect all the projects i do in equal measure? i only have these issues with CEP, so i'm tempted to think that it is CEP-specific, but then that's finger pointing to some people and i don't need a toestepping debate right now....
thanks for thinking along anyway, it's a sorry waste of good cpu cycles and should be stopped if possible.

best all
mats
[Dec 26, 2011 7:08:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If you want a thorough test of your line conditions, use a VOIP test such as http://www.voipreview.org/voipspeedtester.aspx

That particular website has an "advanced" tab to display results; what you'd be interested in primarily is packet loss. You can discern other issues (like the impact of throttling by your ISP and...unusual...routing), but primarily you're interested in packet loss - are all of the packets getting through.

Note that a speed test of any sort can't differentiate between a bad line and a bad card/bad drivers. One of the things I would look at is whether your network adapter (I assume; it sounds like you are Ethernet to DSL modem) has the capability and is configured to offload TCP/IP processing to a capable adapter.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463469

That is one of the things that Windows typically "just does" while you may have to configure the adapter to do same under Linux/Apple. But why is that important? If your TCP/IP processing is having to fight WCG/CEP2 for CPU cycles and you run CEP2 at 90% to 100% CPU utilization like I do, then CPU scheduling might become an issue.
[Dec 26, 2011 7:37:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

had a go at that voip measurement service:
packet loss was zero percent. (everything else was depressing, serves me right for asking ;-) ).

not sure what you mean by unusual routing: is there anything that i might want to change? i'm kinda glad stuff works so i wouldn't touch it unless there was good reason. i will listen to (though not necessarily take) waste-stopping advice, though.

as for network task offload: i found no obviously relevant switch in mac os config, and the onboard help system doesn't bite either. hard to imagine the masters of user friendliness would leave this kind of detail to a bunch of graphics designers and advertisers, i have to say...
and still none of this explains why it would only affect one of the several projects i'm running, does it?

mats
[Dec 27, 2011 11:10:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

No, you can disregard my comment re routing; useful for other purposes.

Once you're successfully past a comms issue (and I would conditionally say you are), I'm afraid that I cannot really help with MacOS systems; my experience with them is both dated and limited to the "business environment" (which from a technical perspective really means my non-email/word processing experience with them was limited to cleaning the first virus I ever saw in the wild - nVir - from them).

And - in what I would call "further bad news" - it appears that CEP2 isn't real popular with the dedicated MacOS users:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=GMK7BX7NR1

Note that only one CEP2 result has been returned. That suggests a horsepower or technical constraint may exist when it comes to running CEP2 on that platform. Worse yet, that MacOS team doesn't have a homepage where I could steer you for further help.

(Edit: In what is probably a sign of my own bigotry, I don't think "science", "math", or "engineering" when I think Apple; I think of efforts with a more artistic bent. lolll..well of late, I also think "patent lawsuits".)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Dec 27, 2011 7:37:27 PM]
[Dec 27, 2011 7:32:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

thanks for trying anyway. i think i'll live.

as for mac and arts: i know what you mean, i used to be the same. but then i tried, and suddenly i had time. never looked back...

mats

ps: ceterum censeo this is project specific for no other proj has these problems:-)
[Dec 27, 2011 8:24:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

Take the macs out of the game and let the window box run for sometime. If you have no issues then you will know that the problem lies with the Macs.
Unfortunately I am a windows only cruncher so I cannot help you with mac issues. biggrin

[Dec 27, 2011 9:44:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have perhaps a related issue I could use some advise on. I too am new at this. I helped on a similar computational program some years ago until it shut its doors. Anyway, I received an email thanking me for my first upload so I know it is working, but what I have on my computer now is a list of several work assignments--some indicate ready to report, some say computation error, and of course others indicate running or ready to start. The question is--if they are ready to report, why don't they?, and if there was a computation error, do they attempt to repair the error and go on? It appears not, but is there a way to force an upload? Finally this is an Intel machine, 3 gHz, dual core, Win7 64 bit if it all matters.
[Dec 29, 2011 1:31:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bieberj
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Welcome to the World Community Grid forum, gdanaher. Glad to have a new cruncher join our rank.

The ready to report is a condition where your results have been uploaded but the processing has been delayed so that the server can run more efficiently.

If you want to force this, switch to advanced view if you haven't already - under project, hit update and it will then process the tasks right away. While it doesn't hurt to do it once in a while, it is not recommended to do this each and every time just to resolve the ready to report issue since it eventually resolves itself.

And then there is validation itself which could take up to 10 days (or longer) depending on how quickly your wingman (the computer that got a copy of your task) complete its task. Most validation takes place within two days.

Don't worry about errors. Errors are rare - if one does occur, the server will send out another copy to a reliable computer.

However if you seeing a number of computational errors then unless the task itself is bad (which is rare), you might want to investigate why you are getting those errors - post a copy of your task from the message log and a more knowledgeable person will come along and help you.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by bieberj at Dec 29, 2011 8:06:46 PM]
[Dec 29, 2011 8:04:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Dear gdanaher,
welcome to CEP2 and thank you for supporting our research! WCG basically allows you to crunch in start-and-forget mode, so - as bieberj said - no need to worry about issues that may come up during the computations. If you are interested in tweaking your settings a bit to maximize your output and minimizing the impact on your computer, please check our tips-and-tricks sheet linked in the footer.
Best wishes and welcome again
Your Harvard CEP team
[Dec 30, 2011 8:25:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread