Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1555 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Leveraging a disparaging WSJ article on the solar industry to boost the project.

ibsteve2u, thanks for the article link.
nasher, thanks for the comment.

When I see an article the WSJ, the NYT, Forbes, Fortune, etc., that I can leverage into a boost of a WCG project or another project running on BOINC, I grab it and use it as the basis for a post on my ScienceSprings blog.

Journalists are a mixed bag. They often write up a project, like CEP2, or rosetta@home's Foldit game, without ever mentioning WCG or BOINC. I go after them, telling them of the opportunity they missed to help us help mankind. But, I still use the article as the basis for a post.

A guy wrote up a development in prescription drugs at I think Bristol Myers Squibb and Merck. I knew the groundwork research had been done at Berkeley Lab, Argonne and Brookhaven. I went after this guy about it, all he did was ask me if I had any tips for him, he being a writer on the Big Pharma beat.

Thanks again.
----------------------------------------
[Dec 28, 2011 11:00:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Leveraging a disparaging WSJ article on the solar industry to boost the project.

Dear Richard,
thanks for the blog post - we'll post it on our facebook log tomorrow.
BTW: the argument in the WSJ about failures in the solar business is rather dumb. A major contributor to the high profile bankruptcies last year was the competition from China and Germany with their large and cheap production facilities. It's like saying that the automobile is a failed technology because Chrysler and GM are having a hard time...
Best wishes and happy holidays
Your Harvard CEP team
[Dec 30, 2011 8:41:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It occurred to me that the WSJ article may have been oriented at "If we can't make a whole lot of money right away, we don't want to play." Over the last few decades, Wall Street has been pretty consistent about demanding not just constant profit, but constant profit growth out of U.S. corporations before they'll talk nice about a corporation and drive its share price (and so the CEO's compensation) up.

That, of course, works to the advantage of those countries who are not afflicted with greed-induced myopia. To update an old saw: "Rome wasn't built in a day - but when it fell, it took about a day."
[Dec 30, 2011 11:04:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Here is an argument I heard about CEP2's project against which you guys can defend:

Most solar, U.S. China, where ever, is only about 20% efficient. CEP2's adventure is for something way way cheaper to construct, but only about 10% efficient. I think that I am quoting the argument accurately.
[Dec 31, 2011 9:15:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Cheapness, ease of application, weight, and flexibility (i.e. thin-film) yields widespread application. The same rules apply to solar as apply to mass production in war: You can drown superior and/or more efficient technology in simple numbers if you can produce enough of it cheap enough (which is the story of the Sherman tank - a.k.a. "the Ronson lighter" - in a nutshell).

Which wouldn't be material except the sun is kind enough to provide us with 1367.7 watts/square meter in free power . Even accounting for a potential loss of 70% due to reflection and absorption by the atmosphere, that is a lot of power...if you can intercept enough of it and transform it into a form of power we humans find more readily useful such as electricity. That is where organic polymers such as this project seeks to identify comes in: Providing a lot of capture/conversion surface cheap. The world has a lot of land that isn't much good for growing stuff on but receives plenty of sunshine regardless - but we also have a growing amount of land that is covered by "human stuff" such as homes and factories.

To quote the Wikipedia article on polymers for examples
Because of the extraordinary range of properties of polymeric materials, they play an essential and ubiquitous role in everyday life. This role ranges from familiar synthetic plastics and elastomers to natural biopolymers such as nucleic acids and proteins that are essential for life.

Natural polymeric materials such as shellac, amber, and natural rubber have been used for centuries. A variety of other natural polymers exist, such as cellulose, which is the main constituent of wood and paper. The list of synthetic polymers includes synthetic rubber, Bakelite, neoprene, nylon, PVC, polystyrene, polyethylene, polypropylene, polyacrylonitrile, PVB, silicone, and many more.
I.e., polymers are...everywhere...already. Now think of just the "human stuff" that is "everywhere already" being coated with or made from (roof membranes, paint, the construction material itself) polymers that generate electricity from solar power.

Be a lot of power without even getting into quibbling over whether those plant and animal species which inhabit non-arable land could or should be placed at risk (perhaps) through the installation of solar power arrays.

(Edit: biggrin I let my ego run away with me - please be aware that this is only my opinion of the usefulness of this project and its goals.)
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 1, 2012 12:26:25 AM]
[Jan 1, 2012 12:08:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

ibsteve2u

Actually this was what I hoped for, enthusiasm. I think that is the big deal going forward.

The blog post about which I started this thread has now been viewed over 100 times over the past few days. That is pretty good for a research post.

Thanks for your response.
[Jan 1, 2012 5:58:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Dear ibsteve2u,
you formulated a great summary for the motivation for this area of research! Thanks for your enthusiasm - keep up the good work!
Best wishes and a Happy New Year
Your Harvard CEP team
[Jan 1, 2012 7:34:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread